Skip to Main Content

Expense Reimbursements

Business Expense and Travel Expense Reimbursement

Reimbursement requests for valid business or travel expenses should be done within the Financial Production Travel and Expense Center. Job aids and training assistance are available as well.

Employee reimbursements are processed every two weeks in conjunction with payroll. The deadline for all complete paperwork to be received in Accounts Payable is the Tuesday immediately following the last payroll run.

NOTE: It is highly recommended that a printed copy of travel reimbursement submitted through Financial Production Travel and Expense Center be kept in the traveler's department with all original receipts from traveler's Procard Transaction Log (xls), depending on how expenses were paid during travel.

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the pdf files. It can be download for free from the Adobe website.

Please consult the following documents for more information:

NOTE: The allowable standard business mileage reimbursement rate for the university is the same as the IRS rate in effect on the date the expense was incurred.

Pre-Approvals for Business Expenses

Expenses greater than $1,000 for food and beverage expenses for use at any event or series of related events with similar purpose must be pre-approved by the Dean, Vice Provost, Vice Chancellor or Chancellor, as applicable. Approvals may occur via a hard copy of an email or memo, but must be submitted together with the request for reimbursement.

Pre-Travel Authorization

For overnight domestic and international travel, pre-approval is required. 

The university is transitioning to an online travel registration system for faculty and staff travel. The new online Travel Registry will replace the current paper Pre-Travel Authorization Forms and the Faculty Request for Professional Absence form. These forms, and therefore registration on the new Travel Registry, is only required for overnight domestic and international travel that is in any way funded by the university. The Travel Registry can be found at

  • Domestic - Your Pre-Travel Authorization must be completed within the Travel Registry by the traveler and approved by the authorizing party for the funding source prior to travel.
  • International - Your Pre-Travel Authorization must be completed within the Travel Registry by the traveler and approved by the authorizing party for the funding source and by the Office of Institutional Compliance.

Note: Failure to obtain the required pre-authorization may result in the denial of any reimbursement claims by the traveler.

Delegation of Permissions

Please contact Accounts Payable if you wish to delegate your permissions to create business reimbursement requests within Financial Production Travel and expense Center to another department administrator. Approvals cannot be delegated.

Tax Implications

An employee reimbursement becomes taxable is if it is submitted after 120 days from the date of travel or the date of the purchase for reimbursement.

Missing Receipts

In the rare occasion that a receipt has been lost or cannot be re-generated by the vendor, a missing receipt affidavit (pdf) must accompany the request for reimbursement.

Relocation / Moving Reimbursements

To aid in recruiting and relocating exceptional candidates for critical university positions, at times the reimbursement or payment of moving expenses, relocation expenses, and/or temporary housing expenses from department budgets may be authorized when the administrative head of the employing department deems this expenditure is necessary and it is approved in advance by the appropriate Vice Chancellor.

For more information please consult the following:

To submit the request for reimbursement, fill out the: