Competitive Requirements for goods between $5,000 and $25,000 per fiscal year:
Obtain three competitive price quotations and select the vendor with the lowest price. If you want to purchase from a vendor that did not submit the lowest price, the selection must be supported by written justification explaining the reason(s) the lowest price was rejected.
Note: All Selection of Source: Sole Source Justification forms must be signed by a Vice President and approved by the Director of Procurement. A Selection of Source justification may only be used if the following conditions exist:
- The product being purchased is unique and the specified vendor is the only vendor from whom the product may be purchased, or
- Similar products may exist, but for reasons of expertise, standardization, quality, compatibility with existing equipment, specifications or availability, the vendor selected is the only acceptable vendor to the University.
- Requester must establish that the price proposed represent the best value to the University and that the vendor has accepted the University Standard Terms and Conditions
Purchasing Requirements (all options):
- A purchase requisition must be entered and approved in the UMass BuyWays System.
- If a University, State (OSD) or Massachusetts Higher Education Consortium (MHEC) or Educational and Institutional Cooperative (E&I) contracted vendor is used, the contract must be selected in the UMass BuyWays Requisition.
- The three competitive price quotations received or a Selection of Source: Sole Source Justification forms must be attached as an internal attachment to the UMass BuyWays Requisition.
- Requisitions will not be approved in UMass BuyWays until all required documents are attached to the UMass BuyWays Requisition.