The ProCard may be used to purchase consumable commodities and services in person at the supplier site, over the phone, by mail or via the Internet. When making purchases online, please use your discretion in ordering from a reputable site to help ensure the security of the card number. The card should not be shared with anyone. The cardholder should make all purchase transactions.
When placing your order, please be sure to provide the vendor with the following information:
- Identify yourself as a University of Massachusetts Lowell employee
- State that you wish to make a university purchase using a University of Massachusetts MasterCard
- Request any educational discounts that may be offered by the vendor
- Provide your name (Cardholder name)
- Give your ProCard number (located on the front of the card)
- Furnish the expiration date of your card
- State that the university is tax exempt and give the vendor the university's tax-exempt number, which is listed on the front of the card (See also Tax Exemption)
- Request discount, if applicable, for purchase being made
- State the quantities and descriptions of the consumable supplies that you require
- Furnish any other information that is necessary to make the purchase
- Provide the billing address, which is your UMass Lowell address noted on your statement
- Verify the total cost of the purchase with the vendor
The ProCard banking system validates each transaction against pre-set limits established by the university. All transactions are approved or declined instantaneously based on the following authorization criteria:
- Number of transactions allowed per day (Set at 20)
- Number of transactions allowed per month (Set at 100)
- Single transaction limit (splitting of purchases to avoid the single transaction limit is prohibited)
- Monthly credit limit (16th of month through the 15th of the following month)
If you reach your monthly credit limit before the monthly cycle ends on the 15th, your purchases will be declined until the new cycle begins on the 16th.
If you require a change in limits, see Limit Increases.
- Approved merchant category code (MCC) (limiting the types of approved vendors)
- Expiration Date
Please note: In addition to criteria set with the bank, the university has established a list of Restricted Purchases. It is the cardholder's responsibility to ensure that purchases are made for non-restricted commodities only, regardless of whether the purchase is approved at the point-of sale.