Skip to Main Content

Allowable Purchases

The ProCard may not be used for purchases of commodities and services listed on the restricted purchases list unless a documented exception is in place prior to purchase. It is the cardholder's responsibility to ensure that purchases are made for non-restricted commodities only, regardless of whether the purchase is approved at the point-of sale.

Please note only purchases appropriate for the budget charged are allowed and absolutely no personal purchases are ever allowed. All purchases made with a ProCard must be in accordance with the University Policy for Management of University Funds.  In addition, all purchases made with a ProCard linked to a project/grant must be in accordance with all specific spending guidelines of that particular contract. For Federal and State Research Grants please review the ORA Allowable Cost Guidelines (doc).

Cardholders will be informed of any changes to policy, as they may occur.

The following is a sample of types of items that may be purchased with the ProCard:

  • Lab supplies (other than chemicals-see list of Restricted Purchases)
  • Books (specifically related to the budget charged)
  • Software - It is best to verify with the Information Technology department that the university doesn't already hold a license and the purchase should not violate university policy
  • Small equipment (under $1,000). Equipment greater than $1,000 must be purchased via purchase order.
  • Professional membership dues
  • Subscriptions to professional journals
  • Printing
  • Conference registration fees
  • Domestic shipping
  • International shipping (all international shipping MUST be reviewed and approved by the Office of Institutional Compliance prior to shipment. Copies of such approval must be kept with your ProCard receipts).
  • Short term rentals
  • Non-contract services and contract services if contract is pre-approved and signed by the Purchasing and Strategic Contracting Office. Examples of such services include equipment repairs, UMass Lowell vehicle repairs, maintenance agreements less than or equal to one year. Trades work (i.e. plumbing, HVAC repair) for university buildings is not allowed.