ProCards linked to ORA grants/Overhead and Faculty startup funds may not have the Travel Option.
With the Travel Option you may use your card for the following university-authorized travel expenses, up to your approved transaction limits:
- Airlines and other Transportation
- Auto Rental
- In accordance with university policy and to get coverage from MasterCard:
- Rent the vehicle in your name and include “University of Massachusetts” next to your name.
- Decline the Physical Damage Insurance Collision Damage Waiver - purchase the Supplemental Liability Protection if you are renting a vehicle outside of Massachusetts or for use outside of Massachusetts.
- (You may choose to accept the optional personal accident insurance – but if you do, you must pay for this with your own personal funds).
- MasterCard will only cover the vehicle if your rental is for a rental period of 31 consecutive days or less.
- MasterCard will only cover a vehicle that is to accommodate 9 passengers or fewer and is intended for bound surfaces, such as concrete and tarmac.
- MasterCard will only cover the MasterCard holder and those designated in the vehicle rental agreement as authorized drivers.
- MasterCard will not cover rentals of trucks, pickup, full size vans mounted on truck chassis, campers, off road vehicles and other recreational vehicles.
- Notify MasterCard immediately of a loss/accident.
- Please also refer also to the MasterCard Guide to Benefits. You will have received a copy of this Guide in the envelope from the bank that contained your ProCard. The Guide details conditions and coverage provided under the Master Rental Insurance Coverage benefit.
- Purchase the Physical Damage Insurance if renting a vehicle excluded by MasterCard.
- Refer also to the UMass Treasurer’s Office information on rented vehicles.
- Hotels and other lodging (Room charges only; ProCard may not be used for room service, movies or other service charges)
- Meal Expenses, when taking someone from outside the university system to a meal with a clear business purpose (locally or while on travel status). Your monthly reconciliation should include the itemized restaurant receipt, notation of the business purpose and list of attendees. You may not request per diem for that meal. Per Diem requests must be adjusted according to the breakdown of the per diem by meal. Refer to Travel Expense Policy (FS-2-105), UMass Lowell.
- Personal (individual cardholder) meals, or meals with only university colleagues in attendance - locally or while on travel status - are not allowed.
- Alcoholic beverages are not allowed without a documented exception in place.
- Gasoline (only for university vehicles or rental vehicles, not for personal vehicles)
You may not use your card for:
- Cash Advances
- Personal Mileage*
- Personal Meals*- when eating alone or simply on the road overnight, an employee is entitled only to the established per diem)
* These expenses are recovered by filing a Travel Reimbursement form upon completion of the travel.
You must retain all purchase documentation
and reconcile your statement
. You must have on file the appropriately signed travel authorization form relating to all dates of travel and/or other appropriate form of supporting travel authorization documentation.
You must also retain copies of any travel reimbursement forms that pertain to the same travel dates during which the ProCard had been used.
The ProCard is to be used for purchases related to university business only. Use of the card for personal purchases is strictly prohibited.