Contacts: Christine Gillette, 978-934-2209, Christine_Gillette@uml.edu
Nancy Cicco, 978-934-4944, Nancy_Cicco@uml.edu
* M E D I A A D V I S O R Y *
UMass Lowell Industry Day Salutes Partnerships
Event Includes Unveiling of New Home to Plastics Hall of Fame Gallery
Thursday, Nov. 15
WHAT: More than 350 industry leaders representing 100 companies, UMass Lowell students, faculty, staff and alumni will participate in Industry Day to recognize the partners that helped outfit the university’s new $80 million Emerging Technologies and Innovation Center. Anchoring the transformation on the university’s North Campus, the ETIC is a hub for cutting-edge research in nanotechnology, molecular biology, plastics engineering and optics, advancing fields such as life sciences, energy, national security, environmental protection and more.
The event will include:
- Unveiling of the Plastics Hall of Fame Gallery, now in its new home at the ETIC;
- Demonstrations of highly sophisticated equipment and tours of labs sponsored by eight companies;
- Information about UMass Lowell’s nanomanufacturing, plastics engineering and Massachusetts Medical Device Development Center (M2D2) research partnerships and opportunities;
- Tours of the 84,000-square-foot building;
- Student research presentations.
Speakers are scheduled to include Bill Carteaux, president of the Society of the Plastics Industry and Gail Bristol, managing director of the Society of Plastics Engineers. SPI and SPE are the umbrella trade organizations for plastics-industry professionals around the world. Also slated to speak are UMass Lowell Executive Vice Chancellor Jacqueline Moloney; Interim Dean of the College of Engineering Jack Wilson; Plastics Engineering Department Chairman Prof. Robert Malloy; Prof. Joey Mead, co-director of UMass Lowell’s Nanomanufacturing Center; and Prof. Stephen McCarthy, co-director of the Massachusetts Medical Device Development Center (M2D2).
Companies that will be recognized include Arburg Corp., C.W. Brabender, Dri-Air Corp., Dynisco Corp., Gloucester Engineering, Glycon Corp., Sumitomo Corp. and Technovel Corp.
WHERE: Emerging Technologies and Innovation Center, North Campus, 40 University Ave., Lowell. For parking information, contact UMass Lowell Public Affairs.