LOWELL ߝ The University of Massachusetts Lowell will celebrate the 11th Annual City of Lowell Women’s Week by hosting a number of events on campus, from March 2 through March 12. The theme, “Our Common Wealth: Changing the State of Women’s Power,” infuses all events ߝ both on campus and off ߝ and UMass Lowell is one of many sponsoring organizations throughout the city.
Campus highlights include a discussion from Prof. Sharon O’Brien of Dickenson College, titled “Mothers, Daughters, and Memoir.” Prof. O’Brien will read from her book “The Family Silver” and discuss the challenges of writing the stories of women who do not leave public records. This event will be held on Monday, March 6, 3:30 ߝ 5:00 p.m. at UML South, O’Leary Library, Room 222, 61 Wilder Street, Lowell. A book signing and reception will follow.
Women’s Week will also feature the Frontline documentary “The Last Abortion Clinic” hosted in collaboration with Planned Parenthood. The film will be followed by a discussion on reproductive rights and will be held on Wednesday, March 8, 6:30 ߝ 8:30 p.m. at UML South, O’Leary Library, Room 222, 61 Wilder St., Lowell.
Another highlight is “Repairing the Social Fabric: Creations and Reflections.” This will include a display of fabric creations from Lowell women leaders and UML graduate students. The fabric exhibit and discussion will explore the spirit of women’s leadership and will be held on Thursday, March 9, 10:30 a.m. ߝ 2:30 p.m. at UML South, hallway between McGauvran Student Center and O’Leary Library, 61 Wilder St.
The following is a complete list of UML’s offerings during Women’s Week:
Thursday, March 2, 2006 (pre-event)
* Mothers Of Rock: A Tribute to Women in Music II, 7:30 ߝ 9:30 p.m., Durgin Concert Hall, UML South
Monday, March 6, 2006
* Mothers, Daughters and Memoir (described above), 3:30 ߝ 5 p.m., O’Leary 222
* Braided Streams: Women of Faith Speak, 4:00 pm- 5:30 p.m., McGauvran 410, UML South
Tuesday, March 7, 2006
* Being Empowered at Work, 11:00 a.m. ߝ 12:15 p.m. (part I) & 12:30 ߝ 1:45 p.m. (part II), O’Leary 222, UML South
* Yoga: Connect Mind, Body, and Spirit, 5:30 p.m. ߝ 7 p.m., Campus Recreation Center, UML East
* Women’s Leadership: Repairing the Social Fabric, 6 ߝ 7:30 p.m., Mogan Cultural Center, 40 French St.
Wednesday, March 8, 2006
* On With Living and Learning: Performance About Living with HIV/AIDS, O’Leary 222, UML South, 2:15 p.m. ߝ 3:30 p.m.
* The Last Abortion Clinic (described above), 6:30 ߝ 8:30 p.m., O’Leary 222, UML South
Thursday, March 9, 2006
* Repairing the Social Fabric: Creations and Reflections (described above), 10:30 a.m. ߝ 2:30 p.m., O’Leary 222, UML South
* Trading Women, film and discussion, (2 screenings) 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., O’Leary 222, UML South
* because equity is still an issue ™, 6:00 ߝ 7:30 p.m. (program by the American Association of University Women), Mahoney Hall 103, UML South
For more information on Lowell Women’s Week, and the events listed above, please visit www.lowellwomensweek.org.
For more information, contact email@example.com or 978-934-3224