Through the Rist DifferenceMakerTM Institute, along with affiliated faculty and other campus programs, UMass Lowell uses a range of activities geared toward expanding our students' understanding of how they can make a difference in the world.
What is DifferenceMakerTM ?
DifferenceMaker is a campus-wide program that helps students solve problems and pursue their ideas, with a focus on having a positive impact in the world. The DifferenceMaker program provides training, mentoring, and other resources to UMass Lowell students who wish to address social, environmental, and economic problems in the community and world. DifferenceMaker works with students to solve their problems and make their ideas into realities. Even if students don't have ideas, they can still get involved!
- Team building
- Workshops/skill building
- Presentation coaching
- Legal advice
- Connections to additional UMass Lowell and regional resources, such as the Innovation Hub, i-Corps, RiverHawk Venture Fund, Entrepreneurship for All, and more.
Benefits to Students Participating in DifferenceMaker Events and Competitions:
- Resume builder/a way to differentiate yourself from your peers
- Win funding and pursue your idea
- Network with high level individuals
- Gain job offers
- Have a safe place to fail
- Learn how to work in a diverse team
- Meet new friends
- Build time management and written/verbal communication skills
- Learn how to craft a compelling presentation and sell an idea
- RiverHawk Experience Distinction Program
DifferenceMaker sponsors specific programs and activities that support students in solving big problems through innovative and entrepreneurial action.
We already know our students do make a difference, our many successful alumni are evidence of this, but rather than waiting for future graduates to discover their chosen career path, we introduce academic and extracurricular programs that specifically engage our students in innovative and entrepreneurial problem-solving.
DifferenceMaker provides training, mentoring and other resources to UMass Lowell students who wish to address social, environmental and economic problems in our community. In addition, our partner, Entrepreneurship for All, generously supported by the Deshpande Foundation, encourages the development of entrepreneurial ventures and leaders through competitions and leadership training programs.