Sophos Intercept X employs a comprehensive defense-in-depth approach to endpoint protection for university computers. Sophos Intercept X Advanced is replacing McAfee and Malwarebytes endpoint protection at UMass Lowell. We will begin installing Sophos on university-owned machines starting the week of March 4, 2019. Due to licensing restrictions, McAfee must be uninstalled on your computer by March 31, 2019.
Sophos Intercept X Advanced is strictly licensed for university-owned computers used by active faculty and staff only. For enrolled students, contractors, alumni, and employee personal devices, see below for information on Sophos for Personal Devices.
This product runs on Windows and macOS based systems. The Sophos installation will automatically remove McAfee and Malwarebytes from your computer.
Windows based systems:
- Open the Self-Service Portal which is located on your desktop (Note: if you do not see Self-Service, it may be listed as Portal Manager in your list of programs.)
- Select Applications on the left
- Select "Sophos" to select the checkbox
- Click on the Install button
- You will see a box that indicates that Sophos Antivirus is downloading and at what percentage
- Please note that if possible, connect through an ethernet cable rather than using wi-fi for better performance
- Once the download has finished, you will see another box indicating that Sophos Antivirus is installing
- Let this run through and the box will disappear once it is finished
macOS based systems:
To install Sophos on macOS based systems, please contact the IT Service Desk at 978-934-4357 or extension 44357 on campus.
Sophos for Personal Devices
Employees, students, contractors and alumni can download and install Sophos Home on personally-owned computers and devices for free. Please note that all competitive anti-virus/anti-malware products must be removed from your home computer before Sophos Home can be installed (i.e. Norton, Malwarebytes, McAfee).
Once downloaded, you will receive the premium addition for 30 days. After the 30 days, you will have the option to purchase the premium addition or continue to use the free version. To download the software and see a comparison of Sophos Home Premium and Sophos Home Free, please see the Sophos comparison page. For Sophos Home Technical Support, please go to the Sophos Home Help page.
Note: Sophos Home edition cannot be installed on university-owned computers.
If you need technical support, enter UMass Lowell service desk ticket.