Do I have to use Duo every time I log in?
In general, no - you will have the option to “trust” the computer you are logging in from for 30 days. (This option requires you use the same browser and not clear your browser cache). Keep in mind the option to “trust” the computer is application specific. For some applications, like HR Direct, you can trust the computer for 30 days. Other applications (like VPN) may not have that option available.
There are several common reasons why you may not be able to select the option to remember your device.
- If you have configured Duo to automatically send you a push, text, or call instead of asking you which one to use
- If you are connecting via an iPad, iPhone, or Android device
- If your web browser does not have cookie support enabled. Make sure that cookies are enabled in Internet Explorer (if you're using Windows) or Safari (if you're using a Mac), or Chrome.
What if I don’t have a data plan on my phone? What if I don’t have a connection?
The Duo smart phone app provides options that work without a data plan, a texting plan or even a connection, if necessary. The app can generate the required code without need of either a telephone signal or data plan, and it can do so anywhere in the world.
Can I use a hardware token to authenticate?
If absolutely necessary, users can use a hardware token. Please contact Information Security (email@example.com) for more information.
Can I set Duo to automatically use a particular authentication method?
Yes. To do so, log in with your UML Email and password to www.uml.edu/duo, and select My Settings and Devices. From this page you can configure Duo to automatically send you a push or a phone call.
How do I disable the automatic push or phone authentication feature if I no longer want it?
Go to the www.uml.edu/duo and log in with your Email address and password. DON’T respond to the automatic push or phone call. Instead select My Settings and Devices. You will be asked to authenticate and you can pick any option you want. Just make sure you respond to this new authentication request rather than the first one.
- Once you authenticate, you see the screen where you can manage this particular feature.
- Scroll to the bottom and change the “When I log in” option to “Ask me to choose an authentication method.”
- Click SAVE.
- Click Back to Login to test.