Skip to Main Content

Change of Level

Change of Level (Bachelor’s to Masters, Masters to Ph.D., etc).

Thinking About Going On To A New Degree Level?

If you are completing one program of study and are continuing onto another, you must obtain a new I-20 for the new degree program. Before proceeding further with processing a Change of Academic Level I-20 we wanted to make sure you are aware of the potential consequences of this change. Specifically, once you receive a new Form I-20 with a new degree level you will no longer have the option to apply for Post Completion Optional Practical Training (Post OPT) based on your current academic degree level. Further, you would not be eligible for Post-OPT benefits until completion of your new academic degree.

If you are comfortable with the Change of Academic Level, please provide our office with updated financial documentation. The total amount of funding to be shown for Undergraduate and Graduate Students can be found below:

If your financial documentation is not in your name, please include an Affidavit of Support (pdf). If you are receiving departmental funding, please provide a copy of your offer letter and/or contract.

Once an ISSO advisor has received your updated financial documents, a new I-20 will be issued to you effective from the start date of your new academic program.

If you have questions or concerns, feel free to contact us during our Advising Hours.

To proceed with requesting a change of level I-20 you must have ALREADY been admitted to the new degree program, and submit the following documentation as per below.