If your visa document (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019) is expiring, and you have not yet completed your degree requirements, you should begin the program extension process at least 30 days prior to the program end date on your current Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. If you think that you may need to extend your program of study, review the following details to ensure you are eligible, and come in during ISSO advising hours to discuss your case.
NEW Program Extension Application!
To apply for a Program Extension, please follow the steps outlined below.
- Meet with your academic advisor to review degree program requirements, your academic progress, and any remaining requirements. During this meeting, alert your advisor that you must complete an application for ISSO that requires their signature/approval. Your advisor will be asked to provide an estimated completion date as explained on the Maintenance of Status for F&J Students page.
- Gather required documentation for the program extension e-form:
- A copy of your I-94
- Updated Financial Documentation (You must be able to show that you have funds available to you to cover the cost of whatever period you are requesting an extension through. If someone else will be covering the cost, be sure to also submit the Declaration & Certification of Finances Form (pdf).
- A copy of your unofficial transcript. This may be accessed through SiS Self-Service.
- Submit your portion of the Program Extension e-form at least 2 weeks prior to your existing program end date. Upon successful submission of the e-form, the e-form will be routed to your academic advisor for approval/signature. Please allow 5-7 business days for the processing of your e-form request.