H-1B Specialty Occupation Workers:
- Update your U.S. Address within 10 days of each move
- International Faculty and Research Scholar Estimate of Expenses
- The H-1B Specialty Category is only intended for paid positions of a specialty nature (individual must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in the field the job is in)
- UML must pay prevailing wage for the position as determined by the Department of Labor.This is the visa category most used for long-term faculty positions or tenure-track positions.
- The maximum amount of time on H-1B status is six years (with a maximum initial period of three).
- Concurrent employment is permitted; each employer must apply for a separate H- 1B petition.
- Dual intent is allowed in H-1B status (i.e., person can intend to immigrate to US).
- H-4 Dependents are not permitted to apply for work authorization.
- There are significant employer fees associated with the H-1B Application Process (including the attorney fees – approximately up to $3,500 paid by employer).
- The H-1B applicant coordinates with their UMass Lowell department and an immigration attorney recommended by the International Students & Scholars Office (ISSO) in the preparation of an H-1B petition. The petition is submitted to the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services for approval. Processing can take from 6-12 weeks. All H-1B petitions must be reviewed and approved by the ISSO.
Please note that as of January 2017, H-1B visa holders will have a 60-day grace period if their H-1B employment is terminated. This grace period can be used to find a new employer, change visa status or depart the US to avoid being considered “out of status”
INTERNATIONAL SCHOLAR INFORMATION
Prepare to host an International Scholar - This document will help you understand your departmental responsibilities when hosting an international scholar.
Pre-Arrival Guide for International Visiting Faculty and Researchers - This document will help prepare new international faculty & researchers for their stay at the University and in the Lowell area.
Contact the International Students & Scholars Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information on the internal UMass Lowell process
Documents on this page are in pdf format and will require Adobe Reader to view them. It can be downloaded for free from the Adobe website.