Obtaining a Social Security Card
International Students must present a Letter from the International Students and Scholars Office confirming their full-time enrollment status. International students must also present the employment letter from their UMass Lowell hiring department or a copy of their UMass Lowell hiring contract;
International Faculty/Research Scholars on J-1, H-1B, O-1, TN, Employment Authorization Card, etc., must present their UMass Lowell Employment Letter.
International Students and Scholars must be mindful that off-campus employment is only permitted with prior authorization from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the International Students and Scholars Office through the issuance of a new Form I-20, Form DS-2019, Form I-797, etc.
In Addition to above-mentioned, all International Students, Faculty & Research Scholars must present:
• A valid passport;
• The I-94 card (small white card usually stapled to your passport at the port of entry to the U.S.);
• A valid visa document (Form I-20, or Form DS-2019, or Form I-797, Employment Auth. Card, etc.)
Remember to ask for a receipt of your application when at the Social Security Administration Office. The receipt allows you to start your UML employment, but it will not allow you to be paid.
In order to be paid by UMass Lowell, you must provide Human Resources with your Social Security # (SS#) immediately upon receiving it. Human Resources will not be able to pay you until they have received your SS#. You may contact Human Resources at 978-934-3560.
Nearest Location of a Social Security Office:
Social Security Administration
151 Warren Street
Suite 300, The Gateway, Bldg. 11
Lowell, MA 01854
Office Hours: All offices are open 9:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m., Monday - Friday.
(The Lowell Social Security Office is across from the UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center. You can take the campus shuttle to the ICC.)
Other General Information
- You are permitted to open a bank account without a Social Security Card, by presenting your passport/visa documentation. You may need to remind the bank teller that you are permitted to open a bank account without a social security number by simply completing a W-8 Form. Some bank tellers are not aware of this and may need to be reminded.
- Please note that a UMass Lowell Identification Number is not a Social Security Number. It is illegal for you to use it as a Social Security Number.
For students who are applying for their Social Security Card after graduating from UMass Lowell, visit the Social Security Office nearest you and present the following:
• Your Post-OPT, Employment Authorization Card
• An Employment letter as proof that you have obtained employment
• Your Post-OPT, I-20 Form
• Your Passport
• Your I-94 card
Please ask for a receipt from the Social Security Office as proof that you have applied. You can show this receipt to your employer’s Office of Human Resources.