- MA: Public Health: Epidemiology, Global Health, (2008), Tulane University - New Orleans, LA
- BA: Biological Sciences, Spanish , (2006), Wellesley College
- : Spanish, (2003), Northeastern University
Casey León has dedicated her career in public health to working with vulnerable populations. Prior to joining UMass Lowell, she was the Director of Research at the Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program. In this role, she managed research, program evaluation and quality improvement projects for largest homeless healthcare center in the country. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biological Sciences and Spanish from Wellesley College and a Master’s degree in Public Health with a dual concentration in Epidemiology and Global Health from Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. She is a returned Peace Corps volunteer.
- Mitchell, M.S., León, C.L., Byrne, T.H., Lin, W., Bharel, M. (2017) "Cost of health care utilization among homeless frequent emergency department users.," Psychological Services 14:2 pp. 193 - 202
- Barocas, J.A., Beiser, M., Leon, C., Gaeta, J.M., O’Connell, J.J., Linas, B.P. (2017) "Experience and Outcomes of Hepatitis C Treatment in a Cohort of Homeless and Marginally Housed Adults.," JAMA Internal Medicine 177:6 pp. 880 - 882
- Beiser, M., Leon, C., Gaeta, J.M. (2017) "Needs Assessment of HCV-Infected Individuals Experiencing Homelessness and Implications.," Journal of Health Care for the Poor & Underserved 28:1 pp. 596 - 606
- Bauer, L.K., Brody, J.K., Leon, C., Baggett, T.P. (2016) "Characteristics of Homeless Adults Who Died of Drug Overdose: A Retrospective Record Review.," Journal of Health Care for the Poor & Underserved 27:2 pp. 846 - 859
- Bharel, M., Santiago, E.R., Forgione, S.N., Leon, C., Weinreb, L. (2015) "Eliminating Health Disparities: Innovative Methods to Improve Cervical Cancer Screening in a Medically Underserved Population.," American Journal of Public Health 105: pp. S438 - 42
- Leon, C., Spencer, L., Szela, C., Perez, S. (2009) "Human eosinophils constitutively express multiple Th1, Th2, and immunoregulatory cytokines that are secreted rapidly and differentially," Journal of Leukocyte Biology 85:1 pp. 117-123
Research Currently in Progress
- Changes in community perspectives on harm reduction programming.
Leon, C., Cardoso, L., Mackin, S., Bock, B., Gaeta, J.
- Changes in public order after the opening of a medical monitoring facility for opioid users
Leon, C., Cardoso, L., Ma, S., Bock, B., Gaeta, J.
- Perspectives from homeless individuals on the mental health effects of the sudden disruption of social services on Boston Harbor's Long Island
Leon, C., Ha, L., Foo, K., Cardoso, L., Harp, H., Gaeta, J., Cohen, M., Brody, L.
- Prevalence and risk factors for MRSA nasal colonization among persons experiencing homelessness in Boston, MA
Leon, C., Liebler, J., Cardoso, L., Morris, J., Miller, N., Nguyen, D., Gaeta, J.
- Spanish speaking and Homeless: health status of a highly-marginalized community in Boston.
Leon, C., Sullivan, M., Cardoso, L., De Las Nueces, D., Bharel, M.
- The intention among people who inject drugs in Boston to use a supervised injection facility.
Leon, C., Cardoso, L., Mackin, S., Guarino, J., Bock, B., Gaeta, J.