To qualify for aid in summer you must:
- Have submitted the 2013-14 Free Application for Federal Student Aid and all requested documents by June 30, 2014.
- Be a current UMass Lowell student who has not graduated (or, you graduated and can document that the course you are taking in summer is required for admission to graduate school).
- Be making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward your degree. Students who are not meeting financial aid SAP and those who are academically suspended or dismissed are not eligible to receive aid.
- If you are an undergraduate - enroll in a minimum of 6 credits for loan eligibility. For Federal Pell Grant, enroll in at least 3 credits. If you are a graduate student - you must enroll in a minimum of 6 credits.
- Complete the UMass Lowell Summer Application to be considered for Federal Direct Student Loan eligibility.
Available Aid Programs
Federal Pell Grant - Available to undergraduate students based on enrollment and financial need. Eligibility automatically reviewed, no application necessary. Summer Pell Grants are not available to students who have already received their maximum, full-time grant amount in the prior academic year.
Federal Direct Student Loans - Available to students enrolled in at least 6 credits who have not exceeded their annual limit in the current academic year including the prior fall and spring semesters. UMass Lowell Summer Application is required.
Federal Direct PLUS Loans - Available to parents of undergraduate students and to graduate/professional students enrolled in at least 6 credits. PLUS Loan Pre-Application required.
UMass Lowell Student Employment – Based upon funding, student employment is available to students with financial need who worked in this program during the prior academic year. Separate Student Employment application is required.
Private Loan Programs – Available to students who have no remaining federal aid eligibility. Eligibility is determined by each lender but, typically, requires at least half-time enrollment and credit worthiness. Apply directly with your lender.
Receiving Summer Aid
If you are eligible for financial aid, UMass Lowell will not require you to pay your tuition and fees before you receive your aid. Your financial aid will be applied to your Summer Session charges at the end of the summer add/drop period in which you are enrolled.
If you enroll in Summer Session I and Summer Session II, any grant aid will be divided equally between these two sessions. Your loans will be paid in the summer session in which you show at least 6 credits of enrollment. Example: if you take 3 credits in summer session I and 3 credits in summer session II, you will receive your loan in summer session II once you have actually enroll in the 6th credit.
If your aid does not pay all your charges, you are responsible for paying the remaining charges. If your aid exceeds your charges, Student Financial Services will refund financial aid credit balances remaining after all Summer Session charges are paid on or around the third week of the session you attend.