Situated at the center of UMass Lowell, University Crossing will serve as a hub of student activity and provide an important connection between the University’s three campuses and the downtown business and cultural district, all within walking distance.
The 230,000-square foot complex will expand the University’s footprint by 10 percent and enrich the student experience with easy access to services and activities. The four-story glass structure will house:
- One-Stop Service Center: Admissions, Financial Aid, the Registrar and the Student Financial Services offices will offer convenient access to essential services.
- Dedicated space for more than 150 student organizations including honor societies, service organizations and clubs.
- The Crossroads Café, including major chain eateries, will offer numerous menu options and plenty of space for dining, studying and meeting.
- A large, new bookstore.
- Student Services: All student services including Student Activities and Leadership, Disability Services, Multicultural Affairs, Campus Ministries, Veterans Services, Residence Life, the Parents Program, Career Services and Cooperative Education, Student Health Center and Counseling Services will be centralized there.
- Event Space: Student meeting space will be located at the center of the office suite for student clubs and organizations. There will also be a meeting space for up to 250 people that can be used for functions, dinners, presentations and other celebrations.
The transformation of the facility will include a complete interior renovation of the newer buildings at the rear of the site, the demolition of the older buildings at the front of the site and the construction of a new four-story campus center overlooking the river. Demolition of the new buildings began in June 2012 and will be completed by the fall. Construction of the new building will be completed in 2014.
Join in the University Crossing Groundbreaking