UMass Lowell follows a unique audition process that allows prospective students a great deal of flexibility in determining how best to demonstrate musical potential. Each audition lasts approximately 15 minutes.
Candidates will be evaluated on musicality, expressiveness, technical fluency, musical fundamentals, and personal perspective as relates to:
- Accomplishment and expertise in a particular instrumental or vocal area;
- Potential for success in a music career.
Candidates are especially encouraged to display artistry within areas of significant individual interest.
All students - both instrumental and vocal - will be asked for the following:
1. Scales - demonstrate major and harmonic minor scales.
Students will be assessed on the degree to which they possess a working knowledge of their instrument, which scales they can play when asked, technical facility, and intonation.
- Guitarists/bassists are strongly encouraged to use different positions (fingerings).
- Percussionists will be asked to play their scales on the marimba.