Applied Macro and Micro Models, Energy & Environmental Economics, Economics of Occupational Health
- BA: Economics, University of Calcutta, Presidency College - Calcutta, India
Supporting Area: Mathematics
- MA: Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi School of Economics - Delhi, India
- Ph D: Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi School of Economics - Delhi, India
Supriya Lahiri is a professor in the Department of Economics at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.? She has a Ph.D. in Economics from the Delhi School of Economics in India and came to this country as a Fellow at the Center of Population Studies at Harvard University.? Prior to joining the University of Massachusetts, she was a member of the sponsored research staff at MIT.?
Her principle expertise is in the area of?applied micro and macro?modeling focusing on energy, environmental, and occupational safety and health issues.? She has published numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals and contributed to chapters in edited volumes.??She has worked as a consultant with many eminent? organizations including the Brookhaven National Laboratory, Meta Systems, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, World Health Organization, and CPWR.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Economics Department Teaching Award (2010), Teaching - Department of Economics, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Lahiri, S. (2016) "Cost–benefit analysis of overhead lift use peer coaching," Occupational and environmental medicine pp. oemed-2015-103416
- Tempesti, T., Lahiri, S., Gangopadhyay, S. (2015) "Is There an Economic Case for Training Intervention in the Manual Material Handling Sector of Developing Countries?," Journal of occupational and environmental medicine / American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 58:2 pp. 207-214
- Lahiri, S., Latif, S., O’Brien, A. (2013) "The Total Economic Value of a Small Urban Wetland: Evidence from a New England City," Interdisciplinary Journal of Economics and Business Law 2:4 pp. 63-80
- Lahiri, S., Latif, S., Punnett, L. (2013) "An economic analysis of a safe resident handling program in nursing homes," American Journal of Industrial Medicine 56:4 pp. 469-478
- Lahiri, S., Latif, S., Punnett, L. (2013) "An economic analysis of a safe resident handling program in nursing homes.," American journal of industrial medicine 56:4 pp. 469-78
- Lahiri, S., Faghri, P.D. (2012) "Cost-effectiveness of a workplace-based incentivized weight loss program," Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 54:3 pp. 371-377
- Lahiri, S., Low, C., Barry, M. (2011) "A Business Case Evaluation of Workplace Engineering Noise Control: A Net-Cost Model," Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 53:3
- Lahiri, S., Cherniack, M. (2010) "Barriers to implementation of workplace health interventions: An economic perspective," Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 52:9 pp. 934-942
- Lahiri, S., Moure-Eraso, R., Flum, M., Tilly, C., Massawe, E. (2006) "A review of employment conditions as social determinants of health part II: the workplace.," New solutions : a journal of environmental and occupational health policy : NS 16:4 pp. 429-448
- Lahiri, S., Moure-Eraso, R., Flum, C.I., Tilly, C., Karasek, R., Massawe, E. (2006) "Analytic and Strategic Review Paper on Employment Conditions as Social Determinants of Health,"
- Lahiri, S., Moure-Eraso, R., Flum, M., Tilly, C., Karasek, R., Massawe, E. (2006) "Employment Conditions as Social Determinants of Health Part I: The External Domain," NEW SOLUTIONS: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health Policy 16:3 pp. 267-288
- Lahiri, S., Gold, J., Levenstein, C. (2005) "Estimation of net-costs for prevention of occupational low back pain: Three case studies from the US," American Journal of Industrial Medicine 48:6 pp. 530-541
- Lahiri, S., Gold, J., Levenstein, C. (2005) "Net-cost model for workplace interventions," Journal of Safety Research 36:3 pp. 241-255
- Lahiri, S., Levenstein, C., Nelson, D.I., Rosenberg, B.J. (2005) "The cost effectiveness of occupational health interventions: Prevention of silicosis," American Journal of Industrial Medicine 48:6 pp. 503-514
- Lahiri, S., Markkanen, P., Levenstein, C. (2005) "The cost effectiveness of occupational health interventions: preventing occupational back pain," American journal of industrial medicine 48:6 pp. 515-29
- Lahiri, S., Babiker, M., Eckaus, R.S. (2003) "The burden of emissions restrictions.," New solutions : a journal of environmental and occupational health policy : NS 13:3
- Lahiri, S., Babiker, M.H., Eckaus, R.S. (2000) "The effects of changing consumption patterns on the costs of emission restrictions,"
- Lahiri, S., Blitzer, C.R., Eckaus, R.S., Meeraus, A. (1992) "How restricting carbon dioxide and methane emissions would affect the Indian economy,"
- Lahiri, S., Blitzer, C.R., Eckaus, R.S., Meeraus, A. (1992) "The potential for reducing carbon emissions from increased efficiency: a general equilibrium methodology," Indian Economic Review 27: pp. 199-214
- Lahiri, S. (1990) "A Redefinition of Luxuries, Necessities, and Engel Goods - an Analysis of Egyptian Household Budget Data," Journal of Developing Areas 25:1
- An Economic Analysis of a Safe Resident Handling Program in Nursing Homes - 2012 Total Worker Health Symposium Safe, Healthy and Cost-Effective Solutions, November 2012 - The Marriott Hotel, Coralville, Iowa
- Economic Evaluation Of Interventions To Reduce Ergonomic Injuries In Construction - PREMUS 2010: Seventh International Conference on Prevention of Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders, 2010 - Angers, France
- Net costs of a No-Lift Intervention Program in a large chain of nursing homes - APHA 137th Annual meeting, November 2009 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- - Institute of Medicines Committee on Personal Protective Equipment in the Workplace,, 2008 - Washington DC
- Cost-Effectiveness Studies: Making the Business Case for Personal Protective Equipment across Occupations - The Institute of Medicine Committee on Personal Protective Equipment for Workplace Safety and Health Meeting, October 2008 - The Keck Center of the National Academies, Washington DC
- Cost Utility Models for Supporting Prevention through New Reimbursement Method - Protecting and Promoting Worker Health Symposium, September 2007 - Bethesda, Maryland
- Economic Evaluation of Workplace Interventions to Reduce Low Back Pain and MSDs - PREMUS 2007, August 2007 - Harvard University, Boston, MA
- Role of Economic Analysis in Occupational Health and Safety, January 2006 - USONORA, Hermosillo, Mexico
- Knowledge Network Hub on Employment Conditions Structural and Intermediate Determinants: Opportunities for Action, Social Determinants of Health, September 2005 - New Delhi, India
- Network Hub on Employment Conditions: Reviewing Evidence and Promoting Action, September 2005 - Ahmedabad, India
- - Economic Evaluation of Occupational Health and Safety at the Company level, November 2004 - Washington DC
- Cost-Effectiveness of Health Interventions on Workers Health - Fundacentro, March 2004 - San Paulo Brazil
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Grant Number 1 U19 OH008857 (), Grant - National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
Lahiri, S. (Other), Punnett, L.
- Economic Evaluation of Interventions to Prevent Manual Material Handling Injuries (2011), -
Lahiri, S. (Principal)
- Economic Evaluation of Interventions to Prevent Manual Material Handling Injuries in the Informal Labor Sector (2009), Sponsored Research - US Department of Health and Human Services and Indian Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- (2010), Sponsored Research - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Lahiri, S., Fhaghri, P.
- Economic Evaluation of Interventions to Prevent Manual Material Handling Injuries ($18,000) (2009), -
Lahiri, S. (Principal)
- (2003), Sponsored Research - The World Health Organization (WHO)
Lahiri, S. (Principal)