The BA/MA program allows undergraduate students to begin graduate level coursework in our Community Social Psychology Master’s program while pursuing their Bachelor's degree.
Undergraduate psychology majors at UMass Lowell who have a GPA of 3.0 or better are invited to apply to the BA/MA program, allowing students to begin graduate level coursework in our Community Social Psychology (CSP) Master’s program while still pursuing their Bachelor's degree. If a student is formally matriculated into the Master's program before earning their B.A., up to nine credits of graduate (500 level or higher) courses completed with a B grade or better may be used by the student to count toward both the Bachelor’s and Master's degrees.
Application to the BA/MA Program
Application is typically submitted during the student's second semester of their junior year (although application materials can be submitted anytime prior to graduation) to allow adequate time for the student to take maximum advantage of the opportunity to take graduate courses and double-count these graduate credits, while still staying within the maximum of 45 psychology credits allowable for the undergraduate degree in psychology. Applicants are requested to use the standard paper application form and submit requisite materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Application forms and details on applying to graduate school are available for download or you can apply online.
As additional advantages, students applying under the BA/MA option do not have to pay the standard application fee and do not have to take any of the standardized tests (e.g. GRE) usually required of applicants. The decision to accept a BA/MA applicant is based on three factors:
- A solid undergraduate record, with an overall GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Strong letters of recommendation: three are required, and we expect that at least two of these should be from faculty at UMass Lowell.
- A personal statement that clearly describes your interest in our Community Social Psychology program and how it fits with the your educational and professional goals.
- Students admitted to our BA/MA program are accepted on a conditional basis with the requirement that students receive their Bachelor’s degree at the end of their senior year and graduate with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. If students do not meet this requirement, their Master’s degree candidacy will be voided and they would be required to re-apply via the traditional application process.
- BA/MA students must complete their Bachelor’s degree first before graduate admissions can change their status to that of a fully matriculated graduate student.
- Accepted BA/MA students can defer their admission to graduate program up to one year. After one year, they must submit a new application via the traditional application process.