Terrorism, Counterterrorism Policy, South Asian security, Drones, Technology and Terrorism, Special Operations, Networks Analysis, Environmental Influences on Terrorism
M.A. National Security Studies, California State University, San Bernardino; B.A. Political Science, University of Hawai`i at Manoa
Jared Dmello, M.A., is a doctoral student and Doctoral Teaching Fellow at the UMass Lowell in the School of Criminology and Justice Studies. He teaches CRIM 2480 (Introduction to Terrorism Studies) and CRIM 3480 (Advanced Seminar on Weapons of Mass Destruction). His research interests focus on terrorism in South Asia, the use of drones in counterterrorism policy, special operations, networks analysis, and environmental influences on terrorism. He is currently an Editorial Assistant at the international scholarly journal Perspectives on Terrorism.
Mr. Dmello previously worked on multiple federally funded grants and was an Associate Editor at Fair Observer’s Central and South Asia Desk. Past grant contributions include topics in: cybersecurity, war game modeling, intelligence simulations, and the NSF’s GK-12 Initiative. With Fair Observer, he led series development on rising issues, connected with experts from around the world, and edited and recommended revisions on submissions to ensure publication of cohesive and concise scholarly articles.
His recent professional presentations include:
- "Counterterrorism and Human Rights: The Collateral Consequences of Drone Strikes," Dr. Michelle Cubellis co-authoring, ISA/IPSA/ECPR/APSA Joint Conference on Human Rights and Justice: Human Rights in an Age of Ambiguity, New York City, NY, June 2016.
- "Terrorist Season: Analyzing Seasonal Trends of Terrorist Attacks in India," 15th Annual East-West Center International Graduate Student Conference on the Asia Pacific Region, Honolulu, Hawai`i, February 11-13, 2016.
- “Within the Darkness: American Special Operations and the Shadow Impact on U.S.-Pakistani Relations,” Special Operations Research Association Annual Meeting, Fort Walton Beach, Florida, December 11-12, 2015.
- “Intelligence Assessment: Terrorist Drone Strikes,” California State University Intelligence Community Center of Academic Excellence 2015 Pre-Colloquium Workshop, Briefed members of the U.S. Intelligence Community, San Bernardino, California, April 2015.
- “South Asian Security: The Conundrum of Jammu and Kashmir,” The 43rd Annual Conference on South Asia: Kashmir Studies Pre-Conference, Madison, Wisconsin, October 2014.
- “Reverse Partition: The Plausibility of the Reunification of the Indian Subcontinent,” The 42nd Annual Conference on South Asia: Partition Narratives Pre-Conference, Madison, Wisconsin, October 2013.