The Francis College of Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Lowell is excited to host two, overnight, week-long summer camps for high school students in July 2018. Discover the AMAZING world of Engineering through hands-on projects and interactions with students, faculty, staff and alumni!
July 8-13, 2018: Engineering for a Connected World
The "Internet of Things", smart phones, smart cars, smart clothes, smart buildings… is defining a connected world. And engineers are at the heart of building it. Students will learn about the innovation required in a connected world, product design, build, and test. Potential camp projects include:
- Design/build a “smart shirt” that monitors health/activity.
- Design a system to track ridership on buses to improve service.
- Implement a system to monitor critical infrastructure
- Build a system to allow cars to “talk” with one another to improve safety.
July 15-20, 2018: Engineering for Sustainability (Girls Only)
Engineers utilize their training to make the world a better place. Students will learn about innovation, sustainability, product design and performance analysis. This program is designated for female students interested in pursuing Engineering. Potential camp projects include:
- Design and build an inexpensive water purification system.
- Develop and build a wind turbine to generate electricity.
- Design and build a model solar home.
- Develop environmentally friendly materials for cleaning.
Students entering 10th, 11th, or 12th grade in the Fall of 2018 are eligible to apply.
PLEASE NOTE: Engineering for Sustainability is designated for female students.
Cost per week: $1,200
Early Bird Discount applies. Register by March 1, 2018 for 10% off. Please use coupon code: "umlearlybird". When selecting payment, click on "more options" for the coupon code. Discounts also available for UMass Lowell Employees, and for sibling registrations.
Please note that the cost for camp includes all overnight accommodations, meals and supplies, and, there are scholarships available.
Registration is closed as both camps are full. Thank you for your interest!