Mechanical-physical properties, process-induced changes in physical molecular structure
His current research is focused on the fabrication of polymeric and/or composite scaffolding structures for in vivo tissue growth and their related physical and biological evaluation.
Aldo Crugnola is University Professor and Professor of Plastics Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. He is also Executive Director of the Plastics Institute of America. Previously, he held the positions of Dean of the College of Engineering, 1977-1995, and Chairman of Plastics Engineering, 1973-1977.
He holds the Sc.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Before joining UMass Lowell, Dr. Crugnola was an Institute Researcher at the Institute for Industrial Chemistry in Milan, and a Research Physicist for the U.S. Army Laboratories in Natick. He is the author or co-author of more than 100 journal articles and technological papers in the areas of a) The Relation Between the Chemical/Physical Structure of Polymeric Materials and their Mechanical/Physical Properties; b) The Effect of Processing on the Structure and Properties of Polymeric Materials; c) The Processing and Properties of Reinforced Plastics; d) The use of Plastic in Joint Prostheses and Other Body Implants.
- RADIN, E.L., RUBIN, C.T., THRASHER, E.L., LANYON, L.E., Crugnola, A.M., SCHILLER, A.S., PAUL, I.L., ROSE, R.M. () "Femoral Component Loosening after Total Hip Replacement,"
- Vaidya, N., Buchholz, B.O., Mah’d, M., Crugnola, A.M. (2011) "Control Scheme for Independent Thumb Motion in a Myoelectrically Controlled Hand Prosthesis," Journal of Prosthetics & Orthotics (JPO) 23:4 pp. 190-195
- Russell, S., Crugnola, A.M. (2005) "Human osteoblast development on polycaprolactone and polycaprolactone/hydroxyapatite composite scaffolds for tissue engineering," Annual Technical Conference - Society of Plastics Engineers 63rd: pp. 3054-3057
- Ambrin, G., Crugnola, A.M., Hart, P. (2005) "Invitro growth of osteoblast cells in scaffolds," Journal of Biotechnology 118:
- Nusbaum, H.J., Rose, R.M., Paul, I.L., Crugnola, A.M., Radin, E.L. (2003) "Wear mechanisms for ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene in the total hip prosthesis," Journal of Applied Polymer Science 23:3 pp. 777-789
- Iadarola, S., Crugnola, A.M., Joshi, R., Tessier, J., Sung, C. (2002) "Characterization of biodegradable/bioresorbable polymer scaffolds for osteoblast cell growth by SEM and TEM," Microscopy and Microanalysis 8:SUPPL. 2 pp. 758-759
- Rajan, A., Crugnola, A.M. (2002) "Material review of Soft contact lenses," Annual Technical Conference - Society of Plastics Engineers 60th: pp. 3640-3643
- Vasilos, T., Crugnola, A.M., Hamilton, J. (2000) "Advances in the fabrication of UHMWPE for joint prostheses," Journal of Applied Medical Polymers 4:2 pp. 72-74
- Vasilos, T., Crugnola, A.M., Hamilton, J. (1999) "Advances in the fabrication of UHMWPE for joint prostheses," Annual Technical Conference - Society of Plastics Engineers 57th: pp. 2994-2996
- Hamilton, J.V., Greer, K., Schmidt, M.B., Urian, C., Joshi, P., Crugnola, A.M. (1998) "Characterization of gamma irradiated UHMWPE after an oxidative challenge," Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society 216:
- Jin, H., Phelps, J., Crugnola, A.M. (1992) "Gamma-irradiated poly(ethylene terephthalate). II. Radiation-induced physical structure changes," Annual Technical Conference - Society of Plastics Engineers 50th: pp. 228-9
- Hudson, J.A., Crugnola, A.M. (1987) "The in vivo biodegradation of nylon 6 utilized in a particular IUD.," Journal of Biomaterials Applications 1:4 pp. 487-501
- Lue, C.T., Crugnola, A.M., Orroth, S.A. (1984) "Approaching the Properties of UHMW High-Density Polyethylene by Crosslinking Low-Molecular-Weight Polyethylene," Plastics Engineering 40:3
- Rose, R.M., Ries, M.D., Paul, I.L., Crugnola, A.M., Ellis, E. (1984) "On the True Wear Rate of Ultrahigh Molecular-Weight Polyethylene in the Total Knee Prosthesis," Journal of Biomedical Materials Research 18:2
- Rose, R.M., Goldfarb, H.V., Ellis, E., Crugnola, A.M. (1983) "On the pressure dependence of the wear of ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene," Wear 92:1 pp. 99-111
- Radin, E.L., Rubin, C.T., Thrasher, E.L., Lanyon, L.E., Crugnola, A.M., Schiller, A.S., Paul, I.L., Rose, R.M. (1982) "Changes in the bone-cement interface after total hip replacement," J Bone Joint Surg A 64: pp. 1188-1200
- Rose, R.M., Cimino, W.R., Ellis, E., Crugnola, A.M. (1982) "Exploratory investigations on the structure dependence of the wear resistance of polyethylene," Wear 77:1 pp. 89-104
- Jones Jr., W.R., Hady, W.F., Crugnola, A.M. (1981) "Effect of irradiation on the friction and wear of ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene," Wear 70:1 pp. 77-92
- Radin, E.L., Rubin, C.T., Thrasher, E.L., Lanyon, L.E., Crugnola, A.M., Schiller, A.S., Paul, I.L., Rose, R.M. (1980) "Femoral component loosening after total hip replacement in sheep," Trans.Orthop.Res.Soc 5:
- Rose, R.M., Crugnola, A.M., Ries, M., Cimino, W.R., Paul, I., Radin, E.L. (1979) "On the Origins of High Invivo Wear Rates in Polyethylene Components of Total Joint Prostheses," Clinical orthopaedics and related research 145
- Deanin, R.D., Crugnola, A.M. (1979) "Toughness and brittleness of plastics. American in Chemistry Series 154,"
- Rose, R.M., Schneider, H., Ries, M., Paul, I., Crugnola, A.M., Simon, S.R., Radin, E.L. (1978) "Method for Quantitative Recovery of Polyethylene Wear Debris from Simulated Service of Total Joint Prostheses," Wear 51:1
- Crugnola, A.M., Schiller, A., Radin, E. (1977) "Polymeric debris in synovium after total joint replacement: histological identification," Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery - Series A 59:7 pp. 860-862
- Deanin, R.D., Crugnola, A.M. (1976) "Advances in Chemistry Series 154," Toughness and Brittleness of Plastics
- Deanin, R.D., Crugnola, A.M. (1976) "Brittleness and toughness of plastics,"
- Deanin, R.D., Crugnola, A.M. (1976) "Toughness and brittleness of plastics: a symposium,"
- Kambour, R.P., Faulkner, D., Kampf, E.E., Miller, S., Niznik, G.E., Shultz, A.R., Deanin, R.D., Crugnola, A.M. (1976) "Toughness enhancement by introduction of silicone blocks into polycarbonates of bisphenol acetone and bisphenol fluorenone," Toughness and Brittleness of Plastics
- Crugnola, A.M., Radin, E.L., Rose, R.M., Paul, I.L., Simon, S.R., Berry, M.B. (1976) "Ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene as used in articular prostheses (a molecular weight distribution study)," Journal of Applied Polymer Science 20:3 pp. 809-812
- Crugnola, A.M., Deanin, R.D. (1974) "Toughness and brittleness of plastics,"
- Crugnola, A.M., Robinson, H.M. (1959) "Textile Series Report 110,"