The Transfer Process

When you submit original sealed transcripts from an external school, the admissions staff enter all potentially acceptable transfer courses into your ISIS account. These courses are then automatically checked by the online transfer dictionary and the awarded credit appears in your ISIS account.

If a course does not match up with a course in the transfer dictionary you might still be able to get credit by filing an academic petition. It is your responsibility to identify those courses, to present an academic petition to the relevant department, and to back up your request with appropriate documentation in the form of course descriptions, syllabi, etc.

If you feel you should receive additional transfer credits you must fill out an academic petition with words to the effect of ...

"I request that course (course number and name, number of credits, grade received), taken at (name of university) in (semester and year) transfer as credit for course (equivalent UMass Lowell course number and name) at UMass Lowell."

To the petition you should attach a photocopy of the relevant portion of your transcript as well as a course description from your university catalog and/or a course syllabus. Present this to the department transfer officer who may re-direct you to the relevant instructor.

You must ensure that the Registrar's office has an official copy of your transcript - including completed grades for the semester before you transferred to UMass Lowell.

International students must provide a full set of transcripts, an educational evaluation from World Education Service (WES), and a course description for any course for which they wish to receive transfer credit. The course description must make it explicit that it is a calculus-based engineering course, rather than an algebra-based technology course. In most cases you will need to get your mathematics and science courses transferred before the ME adviser can consider your engineering transfer credits.

The most important thing for transfer students to understand is that the awarding of transfer credits is a privilege, not a right, and that transfer credits must be requested, and fully justified by the student. Please understand that requests for transfer credit are sometimes refused. Either a university rule is being violated, or the course does not satisfy the requirements of the equivalent UML course.

Rules for Transfer Credit

You must have at least a C- in any course you wish to transfer.

No course taken at a two-year institution can be transferred as credit for an upper level (300, 400 or 500 level) course.

Note that if you transfer from an institution that operates on a quarter system the number of credits transferred will be pro-rated. This sometimes presents problems in meeting the 120 credit minimum if you transfer a lot of credits.

If you received transfer credit for a mechanical engineering technology course (23.*** rather than 22.***) this course will, in most cases, not count toward the engineering program.

Transfer Advising

Evaluation of mechanical engineering technical courses and advisement of transfer students is done primarily by the mechanical engineering transfer advisers (currently the Department Chairman - Prof. McKelliget, and Prof. Charmchi).

The transfer adviser is your adviser during your entry into the program, and for the first semester thereafter. After this you should only consult the transfer adviser on matters relating to transfer credits.

M.E. Undergraduate Curriculum Transfer Guidelines (Effective 2010)

Course CodeCourseCr.Comments
42.101/2College Writing I/II(6)Petition English department or Gen Ed coordinator.
SS Gen. Ed. Electives(6)Petition relevant SS department or Gen Ed coordinator.
AH Gen. Ed. Electives(6)Petition relevant AH department or Gen Ed coordinator.
25.107Intro. to Engineering I(2)Most first year intro to engineering courses. Exception possible if entering with extensive engineering or technology coursework. Petition ME Transfer Coordinator.
25.108Intro. to Engineering II(2)Engineering based intro. to computer tools/CAD/drawing/programming classes. Possible exception for entrance with extensive engineering or technology coursework. Petition ME Transfer Coordinator.




Calculus I

Calculus II

Calculus II

(12)Most 12 cr. science and engineering calculus sequences acceptable. Petition Math department.
92.236Eng. Diff. Eqns.(3)Most 3 cr. differential equations courses. Credit for 92.234 acceptable. Petition Math department.



Physics I +Lab(4)Most 4 cr. calc-based, with lab, Physics I (mechanics) courses. Petition Physics department.



Chemistry I +Lab(4)UML General Chem I not acceptable, unless accompanied by UML General Chem II



Physics of Matter +Lab(4)Most 4 cr. calc-based with lab heat light sound courses. petition Physics department.



Des. Lab I

Des. Lab II

(4)3D CAD (e.g. Solidworks, ProEngineer, Autocad), engineering drawings, dimensioning and tolerancing. Machine shop experience (lathes, milling machines.) Petition with Instructor.
22.211Statics(3)Most calc-based engineering statics courses acceptable. Petition ME Transfer Coordinator.
22.296Mech Behav Mat’ls(3)Most engineering materials science courses acceptable. Credit for 22.295 acceptable. Petition ME Transfer Coordinator
22.212Mechs. of Materials(3)Most calc-based engineering strength of materials courses acceptable. Petition ME Transfer Coordinator
22.213Dynamics(3)Most calc-based engineering rigid body dynamics courses acceptable. Petition ME Transfer Coordinator
22.242Thermodynamics(3)Most calc-based engineering thermodynamics courses



Fundamentals of Electricity + Lab.(4)Most 4 cr. with lab electricity courses – Petition E dept. transfer advisor. UML Physics II will substitute for this course.
45.334Engineering Ethics(3)This course double counts as a Gen Ed (AH). If you satisfy the ME requirement but not the Gen Ed requirement you will need to make up the Gen Ed. 45.203 Intro. to Ethics is an acceptable substitute for this course.
49.201/2Economics I or II(3)This double counts as a Gen Ed (SS). If you satisfy the ME requirement but not the Gen Ed requirement you will need to make up the Gen Ed. E.g. An engineering economics course might be acceptable to ME but possibly probably not as a Gen Ed. You can take Eco I (Micro) or Eco II (Macro). If both, you can count the second as another Gen. Ed. Petition Economics department.

Transfer credit for Mechanical Engineering 300 and 400 level courses will, in general, only be awarded for equivalent courses from a four-year ABET accredited engineering program. Petition course instructor, with final OK coming from Chair or Transfer adviser.

Course CodeCourseCr.Comments
22.321Mech. Des. I(3)Linkage design course with design-build-test experience. See Prof. Sherwood.
22.361Math Methods(3)Linear algebra, numerical methods, and statistics. See Prof. McKelliget
22.322Mech. Des. II(3)See Prof. Niezrecki.
22.302ME Lab I(3)See Prof. Avitabile.




Fluid Mechanics

Cond & Rad Ht Tr

Convective Proc.

(3)These 3 courses together constitute a traditional 2 course fluid flow + heat transfer sequence + thermofluid design projects. Petitions to Prof. Charmchi.
22.311Applied Strength(3)See Prof. Sherwood.
22.451Dynamic Systems(3)See Prof. Avitabile
22.403ME Lab II(3)See Prof. Avitabile
22.425Design Machine Elements.(3)See Prof. Niezrecki
22.473Design Theory & Constraints.(3)See Prof. Shina
22.423Capstone Design(3)See Prof. Shina

Analysis Thermal

Fluid Proc.

(3)See Prof. Charmchi
ME Tech Elective(9)If you have spare senior-level ME credits that have not been used elsewhere you could get some transfer credits here. See ME transfer coordinator

Community Colleges Transfer Agreements

Other course equivalencies (pdf)

Keene State College (N.H.)

St. Anselms College (N.H.)