Ph.D. Degree Program
Graduates of the Ph.D. in Education pursue positions as faculty members in higher education or policy and research roles in the public or private sector. The degree is designed for the development of competencies in educational scholarship and research.
Ph.D. Education candidates choose one of three options:
- Leadership in Education - pursue a future career in higher education or other policy and research organizations.
- Literacy Studies - prepare for a faculty position in the education department of a research university or in PK-16 education or a position in a private foundation or an organization that examines educational policy.
- Research & Evaluation in Education - assume a research faculty position in higher education, work in a policy and research institution or lend skills to analysis and evaluation in industry.
The Ph.D. requires the completion of 60 credits beyond the master's degree. At least 50 percent of the degree is focused on research courses, research preparation and dissertation research. The Ph.D. is taught on campus and is open to part-time and full-time students. Full-time study is recommended for those seeking the option in Research and Evaluation in Education. The Ph.D. is generally completed in six years, unless the candidate is full-time.
Ed.D. Degree Program
Our Ed.D. degrees offer professional educators the opportunity to complete a terminal degree. Graduates are able to pursue leadership roles in K-12 districts. These programs emphasize the development of thoughtful and reflective scholar practitioners. Please note that this degree does not lead to licensure. For more information on licensure, explore our M.Ed. and Ed.S. degrees.
All Ed.D. candidates receive a degree in Leadership in Schooling, but within this, some may choose to pursue an option in STEM education. Courses are online with a summer residency.
- Leadership in Schooling (online courses) - enhance skills both as a researcher and as an instructional leader of PK-12 programs.
- Leadership in Schooling: STEM Education (online courses) - for those who are in the fields of science, math and engineering education and aspire to instructional leadership roles in PK-12. While the focus is on school leadership, this option may be appropriate for some in instructional roles in higher education.