Application of multilevel modeling analysis in educational research and evaluation; Logic modeling approach to program evaluation and research; STEM majors' mathematical content understanding; Inquiry approach to mathematics and science teaching.
- BA: English, (), Tsinghua University, Department of Foreign Languages - Beijing, China
- MA: English, (), Tsinghua University, Department of Foreign Languages - Beijing, China
- Ph D: Education (Social Research Methodology), (), UCLA, Graduate School of Education and Information Studies - Los Angeles, California
Trained as an applied methodologist, Dr. Newton's evaluation research program is centrally concerned with improving learning opportunities for traditionally under-served students (e.g., students of color) and their teachers’ learning opportunities. In addition, Dr. Newton is creating a synergy between evaluation scholarship, community engagement, and service learning through her current evaluation work with an urban alternative high school in Lowell.
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Publication (2004), Scholarship/Research - American Educational Research Association (AERA) Division H
- Honorable Mention, (2003), Scholarship/Research - American Educational Research Association (AERA) Division H
- Newton, X., Rivero, R., Fuller, B., Dauter, L. () "Longitudinal Analysis of Teacher Turnover in Organizational Context: Explaining Differing Rates among Charter and Traditional Public Schools in Los Angeles," Teachers College Record
- Newton, X. (2016) "Striking a balance: A mixed-methods approach to impact-oriented evaluation.," Studies in Educational Evaluation 51: pp. 96 - 107
- Newton, X. (2016) "Course Improvement Through Evaluation: Improving Undergraduate STEM Majors’ Capacity for Delivering Inquiry-Based Mathematics and Science Lessons. ,"
- Newton, X., Poon, R.C. (2015) "Pre-Service STEM Majors’ Understanding of Slope According to Common Core Mathematics Standards: An Exploratory Study," Global Journal of Human-Social Science 15:7 pp. 26
- Newton, X. (2015) "Mathematical Content Understanding for Teaching: A Study of Undergraduate STEM Majors," CE Creative Education 06:10 pp. 998-1031
- Theory into Practice: Empowerment Evaluation of a Full Service Community School Initiative at an Alternative High School Serving Primarily Diverse Students - Southeast Asian American Studies Conference, Community Engagement, Research, & Policy in Action, July 27-29, 2017, July 2017 - UMass Lowell, O'Leary Library