The programs are held on Wednesdays in the Leo F. King room in Fox Hall unless noted otherwise. Programs are from 10:00 am to noon.
- Illustrated talk on Vigeland Sculpture Park in Oslo, Norway, presented by Jerry Gilmore.*
- The park Jerry visited was designed by Vigeland and contains 212 sculptures in stone or bronze surrounding a fountain.
- Coordinator: Carolyn Fowler*
- Mythology Depicted by Artists, Dr. Liana Cheney, UMass Lowell Art History professor
- Dr. Cheney’s illustrated talk will focus on how painters in different periods represented mythological stories.
- Coordinator: Connie Lanseigne-Case*
- Elderhostel Odyssey, representative from UMass Lowell faculty
- Many members have traveled and studied with Elderhostel. The presentation will be a fresh look at the organization today.
- Coordinator: Mary O’Connor*
- Nancy Tuttle, art and entertainment reporter, Tim Parrish, Executive Director Merrimack Repertory Theatre, Janice Bokorski, Director “Community Gardens”.
- The Sun newspaper reporter shares memorable experiences over the years. Mr. Parrish’s focus will be on productions presented at the MRT. The green house adjacent to the UMass campus serves mainly the South East community. Mrs. Bokorski informs us of the program.
- Coordinators: Sally Cady*, Connie Lanseigne-Case*
- Bill Patton, illustrated talk about Norman Rockwell
- Rockwell’s ability to capture the American Spirit through nostalgic magazine covers and advertising illustrations is what the show is about. Many aspects of his life and career are presented.
- Coordinators: Connie Lanseigne-Case*, Simone Allard*
November 1 (Thursday)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra, open rehearsal.
- Markus Stenz conducts Mozart’s Symphony No. 1 and his Violin Concerto No. 2 with featured artist Frank Zimmerman. Meet at Hannaford at 7:15 a.m. $28.50 for members and $33.50 for guests, which includes a tip. Check payable to Jean Dettman and October 1 is the deadline.
- Coordinators: Jean Dettman* and Rose Rhoades*
- A Musical History of Patriotic Music, Dorothy Bromage*
- The first part features songs of World War I and the second includes images of posters, sheet music and composer portraits.
- Coordinator: Kay Carroll*
- Fogg and Sackler Museums, Harvard University
- This is a docent led tour of Roman and Greek art. Meet at Hannaford at 8:30 a.m. $13.00 for members and $18.00 for guests, which includes the tip. Leave museum at 2 p.m. Check payable to Katherine Carroll and the deadline is November 1.
- Coordinators: Katherine Carroll* and Rose Rhoades*
* indicates LIRA member