Directions: The Tsongas Center at UMass Lowell, located at 300 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Lowell, MA 01852 978-848-6900. Get individualized directions from the university's interactive maps and directions website or or check the live web link to parking locations.
Download Commencement Day Parking map (pdf).
From I-495 and Route 3
- From the Boston Area take Route 3 North
- From NH take Route 3 South
- Traveling on I-495, follow signs for the Lowell Connector - Exit 35C
- Traveling on Route 3, Exit on to 495 toward the Lowell Connector (follow signs for the Connector). Once you are on 495, you will take Exit 35C (Lowell Connector).
Exit off the Lowell Connector at Exit 5B - Thorndike Street.
This will take you directly on Thorndike St. where you will merge with traffic; continue to stay in the right lane. This road will bring you directly in front of the Tsongas Center after approximately eight (8) traffic lights.
- From Boston on I-93, take Exit 44B off of I-93 - this will bring you onto I-495 South. Follow above directions.
- From New Hampshire on I-93, take Exit 46 off of I-93. Follow Route 110 West to Lowell for approximately 7 miles until you get to the intersection of Route 38 and Bridge Street (you will see a Dunkin Donuts on your right).
- At lights, take a left over the Cox Bridge.
- After you go over bridge, stay to the right and at the first set of lights take a right onto French Street.
- Go through 2 sets of lights - at the 3rd light you will see the arena set back on the right behind the post office.
Check out our parking map (pdf) or or check the live web link. Parking on all streets adjacent to the Tsongas Center is governed by parking regulations of the City of Lowell, including meters and resident spaces. We urge students and guests to park in university and municipal parking lots. See dropoff locations for guests with special needs.
Please DO NOT park in the Post Office parking lot.
Parking in University parking lots on East Campus will be free on Commencement Day. They include the Aiken Street Lot, Perkins Lot and East Garage.
There will be a charge to park in the Ayotte Garage (adjacent to the Tsongas Center) and Downes Garage (corner of John and French streets) of $10, and a $15 charge for parking in the city lot across from the Tsongas Center (Lot A). Payment must be made in cash upon entering. City parking meters will be in effect on Commencement Day.
We expect the traffic from the morning ceremony to begin to ease around 1:30 or so. Afternoon graduating students must be present by 2 p.m. to line up for the procession which begins no later than 2:30 p.m.
Download our RoadsterRoutes app to get real-time shuttle information.
Shuttles will run from the locations below to Suffolk Street next to the Tsongas Center:
- East Campus at University Suites Bus Stop
- John Street parking garage
- UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center (for those parked in Lower Locks parking garage)
Access to the front entrance of the Tsongas following the ceremony will be restricted, so we recommend you park in one of the satellite lots and take the shuttle. The shuttle stop will be on Suffolk Street next to the Tsongas Center.
After the ceremony, all students and guests will be able to pick up shuttles on Suffolk Street for a return trip. Shuttle service will end one hour after the afternoon Commencement ends.
Please be aware that traffic in the downtown area will be heavy both before and after the events. Please plan accordingly.