Frequently Asked Questions

  • When and where will Commencement take place?

    Morning Ceremony: Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 9 a.m. at the Tsongas Center at UMass Lowell. 

    Afternoon Ceremony: Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 2:30 p.m. at the Tsongas Center at UMass Lowell. 

  • How do I know I’m eligible to graduate?

    The following students are eligible to participate in graduation activities:

    master’s students who have completed degree requirements during the Summer 2015 semester and who have not attended the previous commencement exercise;
    undergraduate and master’s studentswho have completed degree requirements during the Fall 2015 semester and who have not attended the previous commencement exercise;
    undergraduate and master’s students
    who expect to complete degree requirements during the Spring 2016 semester; and
    undergraduate students who anticipate completion
    of degree requirements by the end of the Summer 2016 session.
    doctoral students
    who have completed all of their degree requirements, including final submission of their dissertation, in Summer 2015, Fall 2015 or Spring 2016 are eligible to participate.
    online and continuing education students
    should schedule a graduation interview to review their program worksheet with a faculty coordinator. To schedule an interview, a OCE student should call Online and Continuing Education at 978-934-2474.
    Undergraduate and continuing education students
    : To see if you are eligible to graduate you should review your Advisement Report on SIS.

  • What do I have to do to participate in graduation?

    Undergraduate students need to submit a Declaration of Intent to Graduate (DIG) form to their college dean's office. Please note, that seniors who complete graduation requirements but do not submit this form in a timely manner are advised that it will impact when they will be eligible to receive their diploma and their names may not be printed in the Commencement booklet. 

    Online and Continuing Education undergraduate students need to submit a Declaration of Intent to Graduate (DIG) form. Instructions and copies of the form are available on the Continuing Education website

    International students on either F-1 or J-1 student status who are completing their academic program in Spring 2015 should schedule an appointment with the International Students & Scholars Office 978-934-2383 or

    Once we have received your DIG form, your name will appear on the Registrar's Office website. For your convenience, the Registrar’s Office hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday – Thursday; Fridays 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. We are located at University Crossing, 220 Pawtucket St., Suite M10. 

    Master's and doctoral students must file a Declaration of Intent to Graduate (DIG) form with the Registrar's Office. You must acquire your graduate coordinator’s signature prior to submitting the DIG form to the Registrar’s Office. The Registrar's Office will verify course credit, grade and GPA requirements, and submission of thesis/dissertation (if applicable) prior to the awarding the degree.

  • What if I'm receiving financial aid?

    If you are a senior or a graduate student graduating this semester, and have borrowed from one of the various student loan programs, it is important to remember that your student loans are your responsibility and must be carefully managed. Federal Regulations require you to participate in an online Loan Exit Counseling to assist you with your student loan debt.

    In order to fulfill the online Loan Exit Counseling requirement, you will need a Department of Education Personal Identification Number (PIN). Your PIN will also allow you to access various websites including; the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and Direct Loan Consolidation. If you do not know or do not remember your PIN, you can request a duplicate one at

    You must first review the Exit Counseling information for your loans, and then you will be directed to take a quiz. Your quiz results will be electronically sent to the Financial Aid office. Your Loan Exit Counseling requirement is not considered complete until you have completed and passed the quiz.
    To access the online Loan Exit Counseling and/or obtain a PIN, please visit If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Financial Aid office at 978-934-4220.

    Perkins Loan Exit Counseling: Exit material will be sent to you via certified mail to your current address in SiS.  Please verify that this address information is correct.  An Exit Interview service indicator will be been placed on your account.  This service indicator will not permit you to enroll in future classes here or receive transcripts until such time as you have completed and returned this exit packet. Please note: This exit CANNOT be completed on line. If you have any questions or need assistance with the Perkins Exit Interview process, please contact Student Financial Services at

    Holds: Students with financial holds on their account will not be cleared for graduation. Students may participate in graduation; however, diplomas will be released only to students who have been financially cleared. Please check your SiS account for information on any possible holds.

  • How do I get my cap and gown?

    Academic attire is required for all participants in Commencement exercises. Graduating students should arrive at the Tsongas Center with their:

    Cap, Gown, Hood
    Any honors cords or stoles
        Cum laude: GPA of 3.25 or higher (1 cord) 
                  Magna cum laude: GPA of 3.5 or higher (2 cords)
                  Summa cum laude: GPA of 3.85 or higher (3 cords)  
    Name card (for undergraduates and master’s candidates)

    All undergraduate students may pick up their caps and gowns at the Cap & Gown Countdown. You will be able to pick up everything you need for graduation all in one place. Undergraduates DO NOT need to pre-order their cap and gown, they will be distributed by height. 

    If you are unable to attend the Cap & Gown Countdown you will be able to pick up your cap and gown at the River Hawk Shop Bookstore at University Crossing or you can call and ask to have your regalia shipped to you for a fee.  

    Master’s and doctoral students should place their order with the River Hawk Shop Bookstore at University Crossing. There is no need for master's students to pre-order regalia, unless they want it shipped to them, in which case they should submit this master's shipping form (pdf). Doctoral students need to submit this doctoral regalia form (pdf) to the bookstore, no later than March 25.

  • What college am I in?

    UMass Lowell has six colleges:

    The Graduate School of Education
    Curriculum & Instruction 
    Reading & Language
    Educational Administration 
    Kennedy College of Sciences
    Biological Sciences 
    Computer Science 
    Environmental, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences 
    Mathematical Sciences 
    Physics and Applied Physics
    The College of Fine Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
    American Studies
    Community & Social Psychology
    Criminology & Justice Studies
    Economic and Social Development of Regions
    Modern Languages
    Music/Music Education
    Peace & Conflict Studies
    Political Science
    Sound Recording Technology
    The Francis College of Engineering
    Chemical Engineering 
    Civil & Environmental Engineering
    Computer Engineering 
    Electrical Engineering 
    Energy Engineering
    Mechanical Engineering 
    Plastics Engineering
    The Manning School of Business
    Business Administration
    International Business
    Management Information Systems
    Operations and Information Systems
    The College of Health Sciences
    Clinical Laboratory & Nutritional Sciences 
    Community Health & Sustainability 
    Exercise Physiology/Physical Therapy
    Pharmaceutical Sciences
    Physical Therapy 
    Work Environment
    Intercampus Degrees
    Biomedical Engineering & Biotechnology Program
    Marine Sciences

  • How do I get tickets to my Commencement ceremony?

    Graduates themselves do not need tickets, but their guests do. Graduates can reserve up to four tickets for their family through the online ticket system for your guests. If you are eligible to graduate, you will receive an email in the spring about how to access the ticketing system. Tickets will be sent to you via email. See ticket guide (pdf) for ordering instructions.  

  • Do students who AREN'T graduating in a ceremony need a ticket?

    Yes, students who are graduating do not need tickets to attend their commencement ceremony. But if you are a student who is not graduating and would like to attend a ceremony, you will need a guest ticket from someone who is eligible to participate in the ceremony.
    If you are a student graduating in a different ceremony and would like to attend the other ceremony, you will need a guest ticket (reserved by someone who is participating in that ceremony) to attend. See ticket guide (pdf) for ordering instructions.  

  • How will I get my Commencement tickets?

    Your tickets will be emailed to you, similar to ordering ticket through Ticketmaster. You will then be able to forward them to your guests or print them out. Please note that each ticket is individually coded, you will not be able to scan the same ticket multiple times. See ticket guide (pdf) for ordering instructions.

  • What if I do not need all my tickets?

    You can order up to four tickets using the online system. If you don't order all four by the ticket deadline, your unclaimed tickets will automatically be redistributed to other students. See ticket guide (pdf) for ordering instructions.

  • What happens if I lose my tickets?

    You can simply log back into the tickets website and reprint or resend tickets. See ticket guide (pdf) for ordering instructions.

  • How do I know if extra tickets are available?

    If you have requested additional tickets, you will receive an email letting you know if tickets are available and how you access them. See ticket guide (pdf) for ordering instructions.

  • How do I get my diploma?

    As students process across the stage, they will be given a diploma cover, with the exception of doctoral candidates who will receive their actual diplomas as they cross the stage. All other diplomas will be mailed to students in the weeks after the graduation ceremony.

  • I am a foreign student. How do I invite my family to graduation?

    Visit the International Students and Scholars website to find information on preparing an invitation letter for your family.

  • How do I change my name on my diploma?

    To ensure that your name appears exactly as you would like it to on your diploma, you should confirm the name that is listed in SiS. If your name does not appear as you would like it, please follow the steps in this document to change your name. This step needs to be completed by April 20.