Thesis/Dissertation Submission Check List and Overview
Prior to the defense date:
2) Doctoral students must also submit a completed “Survey of Earned Doctorates.” At the time of graduation clearance, the Registrar's Office sends all doctoral candidates a link to the Survey.
3) If you are requesting an embargo of your thesis or dissertation, you will need approval. Please see the Embargo Form at the end of this Guide.
4) Two weeks prior to your defense, but no later than the DRAFT submission deadline listed on the Graduate Academic Calendar; submit a copy of your complete final draft. Make sure this initial thesis/dissertation submission is formatted to meet all formatting requirements and contains no blank sections. Keep a copy of the original file you used to create your PDF in case you need to make revisions prior to your final submission. Always use the most up to date version of Adobe Acrobat to convert your document to a PDF. (Students sometimes submit multiple drafts; please always use the notes section to let the ETD Administrator know whether your submission is a draft, or if you are submitting your final version. Once you submit your final version, you will NOT be able to make additional changes.)
5) Students must pay the $50 Thesis/Dissertation archival charge online at https://checkout.bluesnap.com/buynow/checkout?sku3534660=1&storeid=544359 prior to uploading your draft document to ProQuest.
6) Two weeks prior to your defense, your thesis/dissertation defense MUST be posted to Today@uml.edu. All thesis and dissertation defenses are open to the public. The student and his/her advisor are responsible for posting this announcement.
Your defense announcement should include all of the following elements: The ___(College)________________, Department of _______________, invites you to attend a _____(Master’s thesis, doctoral dissertation)__________________ defense by ___(Student Name)___________ on “___(title of thesis or dissertation )_______________.
NOTE: Your advisor must be a UML faculty member and at least 2 additional committee members must be as well. Rules for committee members are detailed in the Graduate Academic Catalog.