- Address: 500 Pawtucket Blvd. Lowell, MA 01854 - The Kayak Center utilizes the outdoor space of the UMass Lowell Bellegarde Boathouse. During open hours, Kayak Center staff can be found near the dock area, at the table by the blue Kayak Center sign. On rainy days, the table is moved to the nearest open bay door.
- Parking - Free parking is available in the adjacent parking area for the Vandenberg Esplanade or along the shoulder of Pawtucket Blvd.
Adverse Weather Policy
The Kayak Center may postpone rental or program activity due to adverse weather. In general, we don't go out in conditions when wind is above 15 mph, when white caps are visible on the water, before, during or after severe storms, when water levels and current are expected to rise significantly and when thunderstorms threaten the area. When conditions are questionable, please call the kayak center or office to inquire if we are operational.
With conditions such as summer thunderstorms will remain staffed during adverse weather conditions and re-open as soon as conditions have passed.
When we have to cancel a program due to adverse weather we will make every effort to re-schedule the program or fully refund participants.
We offer paddling opportunities for people of all ages. Please see the guidelines below or talk with one of our staff to make sure the child has the best possible experience on the water! Please keep in mind that weather, wind and water conditions may effect children significantly more than adults. Children under 12 and sometimes older are not recommended in winds above 7 knots. It is very important that children (and adults) are not strapped into the boat in the event of a capsize. All children must have a valid minor waiver on file before they are allowed to boat.
- Infants 6 months old and older, Toddlers and young children up to 7 years old are best suited to paddle in a wide cockpit kayak, tandem kayak, or canoe with at least one adult in the same boat. Our infant PFD’s require a minimum weight of 20lbs.
- Kids 8 - 11 years old depending on their level of comfort may paddle their own boat under the direct supervision of an adult on the water with them. One adult may supervise no more than 3 children of this age at a time on the water.
- Kids and Teens 12 - 15 years old may paddle their own boat under the direct supervision of an adult on the water with them. One adult may supervise no more than 5 children of this age at a time on the water.
- Teens 16 years old and older may paddle unaccompanied from the boathouse with the permission of their guardian. Any teen renting a boat offsite must be accompanied by an adult on the water with a maximum ratio of 1 adult to 8 teens.
- Adults 18 years old and older are able to participate in our full programs and rentals as stated.
We do not allow participants to bring pets, of any kind, into the boats.
Bring Your Own Boat
For those who own their own boat, there is a $4 fee to launch out of the Kayak Center dock. To use our shuttle service, the $15 shuttle fee applies, but you will not be charged a rental fee. If you have a rowing shell you would like to launch at our boathouse, we encourage all adult rowers to join the Merrimac River Rowing Association for access. Our site is not suitable for launching motor boats.