The UMass Lowell Free Wheelers Bike Share program provides free bicycles for students, faculty and staff. Bicycle check out is quick and easy and you only need to register once. After you register, simply check out and return a bike at any of the 5 check-out stations on campus. Bicycles are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
New Free Wheeler App!!
Sign up and Register online for Freewheelers, find out how many bikes are available at each check out station, reserve a bike, track your usage and more! Users will sign in with their UMass Lowell credentials. Click here for the Free Wheelers app.
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. (Lydon and O'Leary Library checkout locations close at 4 p.m. on Fridays)
Saturday & Sunday: 10 a.m. - 7 p.m (Only CRC and Riverview Fitness Center)
Check Out Locations & Maps
- East Campus: Campus Recreation Center Welcome Desk
- South Campus: O'Leary Library Information Desk & Riverview Fitness Center Welcome Desk
- North Campus: Lydon Library Information desk
- University Crossing: Information Desk on first floor
Only Current University Faculty, Staff, and Students may register for Free Wheelers. To Register:
- Complete a waiver, registration, review the educational materials & take a quiz.
- Have your UCard authenticated
- Review safety information
Registration is active for 1 academic year.
Register in one of two ways:
- Visit any checkout station and follow their instructions.
- Register online using the Free Wheelers App.
- Current, registered Free Wheelers participants may host one non-UMass Lowell guest. Guests must sign this Free Wheelers Waiver.
- Current students, faculty and staff should register individually, not as guests.
How to Check-out and Return a Bicycle
Once you are registered, you can go to any Bike check-out station and request a bike. The staff will give you a key and helmet and then you head to the racks. Racks are typically blue and marked with UMass Lowell Free Wheelers decals just like the decals on the bicycles. Simply match your key number with the appropriate bike number and you can unlock your bike. Be sure to lock your bike securely before returning the keys to any of the checkout stations by the close of operating hours.
Policies & Guidelines
- Late Fees: A $20 per day late fee will be charged to all those failing to return a bike to a designated checkout station by the end of program hours the day it is borrowed.
- Property: By borrowing a bike you agree to be held financially responsible if the bike is damaged or stolen. Any person borrowing a bike not returned in the condition that it was issued will be charged an appropriate repair fee. Anyone not returning a bike will be charged an $800 replacement fee. A hold will be placed on the borrowers university account and he/she will also not be allowed to register for classes without paying the replacement fee.
- Lock and Key: The key must be returned to a check-in station when the bike is returned. If a U Lock or key is lost the user will be charged a $45 replacement fee.
- Suspensions and Payment of Fees: Incurring fees while using the Freewheelers Program will result in the temporary suspension of a users account. Suspensions will be removed once fees have been paid. Users may pay fees online here or at the bike shop during open hours. For all damage fees contact email@example.com. Please allow 24-36 hours for your suspension to be lifted once the fee has been paid.
Locking and Unlocking the Bike
Things to keep in mind when locking your bike:
- The U-Lock should pass through the rear wheel, the frame, and lock around the bike rack.
- Never leave the key in the lock.
Ride safely and have fun as you navigate between campuses using sustainable transportation!
When you arrive at your destination, simply lock your bicycle to the designated UMass Lowell Free Wheelers bike rack and bring your key into the check-out station.
Email us. To report a mechanical issue, please call us at 978-934-6797.