Ph.D. in Counseling and Student Personnel Services
Emphasis in College Student Affairs Administration; Cognate area in Teaching and Pedagogy.
University of Georgia, Athens, GA
Dissertation entitled "A Study Exploring the Relationship between College Majors and Future Careers."
M.S. in Student Affairs in Higher Education
Miami University, Oxford, OH
B.S. in Business Administration, Magna cum Laude in Marketing and Finance
University of Massachusetts, Lowell, MA
George has focused his professional work and scholarship on assisting college students reach their personal goals in higher education. He currently serves as the Coordinator for Advising and Outreach in the Centers for Learning, Advising and Student Success at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. He is also a case manager for the UMass Lowell STAR's intervention team. George has served students professionally as an academic advisor, faculty member, and administrator at institutions such as the University of California Davis, the University of Southern California, Northeastern University, and Bentley University. George has also travelled extensively with students as a part of graduate experiential education programs across Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.
- Residential Community Development Handbook (Association of College & University Housing Officers-International)
- B.A.S.I.C.: Building a Strong Involving Community
Manuscripts in National Refereed Journals:
- Structural analysis of the student cultural diversity questionnaire. Awarded Publication of the Year.
- Efficacy of orientation for new professionals.
- The danger of action without reflection.
United States Government Research FIPSE Grant Manuscripts:
- Predictors of success: Academic achievement, graduation, and support service use of students with disabilities.
- How college matters: Employment, college graduation, and DSS service use of university students with disabilities.
- Web vs. paper surveys: Survey mode effects in college students with disabilities.
2005-Present: Keynote Addresses:
- The future of student affairs practice in the age of transparency reporting.
- Being good company on the journey to identity development for college students
- Shaping student affairs practice on college campuses.
2005-Present: National Conferences: Lead Presenter:
- Efficacy of Orientation for New Student Affairs Professionals.
- Sexual Orientation & Spiritual Exploration and the College Student.
- Careers in the Academic Advising.
- Multiple identity development and college students: Creating seamless support networks.
- When Practitioners Become Researchers in the Name of Student Development.
- Best Practices in Academic Advising.
- An Exploration of the Role of Commitment and Academic Adjustment with College Majors.
Selected Artistic and Professional Performances and Exhibits
Undergraduate Teaching Experience:
- Human Behavior & Organizations
- Major and Career Planning
- Sophomore Academic and Career Choices
Graduate Teaching Experience:
- Advanced College Student Development Theory
- Evaluation and Outcomes Assessment of Collegiate Programs
- Vocational, Educational, and Career Development
- Research, Evaluation, and Data Analysis
- Theories of Career Development Laboratory
Selected Contracts, Fellowships, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Faculty Research Fellow, Biology Department Cooperative Education, Northeastern University.
- Awarded $8,000 to analyze data from National Science Foundation grant entitled "Curriculum improvement in practice based biology programs using E-portfolios."
- Faculty Research Fellow, Center for Work and Learning, Northeastern University
- Awarded $5,000 grant to study the relationship between Cooperative Education and personal/academic outcomes.
- Federal Retention Grant Site Coordinator, Center on Education and Work, University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- Awarded portion of $250,000 U.S. Department of Education Field Initiated Studies Program grant to study the retention of college students with disabilities at the University of Georgia. Primary Investigator at University of Georgia site.