The UMass Lowell Award for Excellence in Innovative Teaching is designed to honor individual early career faculty members who exemplify a deep commitment to excellence in teaching. UMass Lowell prides itself on outstanding teaching and recognizes the efforts made by professors to make their classes engaging and to enhance learning outcomes. In recent years, technology and pedagogical theory have evolved, with new ways to promote class participation with improved outcomes. Implementation involves further innovation for translation to specific topics and for differing groups of students. The university appreciates the time and effort involved in modifying and testing new teaching methods.
- The nominee must be a full-time faculty member at UMass Lowell and currently in a tenure, teaching, or clinical-track position.
- Previous nominees are eligible, and it is hoped that they will be nominated again.
- Previous winners are not eligible to be considered for a period of six years.
Criteria for Award
Applications will be evaluated according to how the applicant:
- Engages students in the subject matter with novel teaching methods
- Integrates active participation into the classroom
- Uses innovative methods/technology to provide critical and productive feedback
- Shares innovative approaches with others and encourages active teaching methods