Our mission is to prepare students for academic and/or industrial careers in chemistry. Students obtaining a B.S. in Chemistry from the University of Massachusetts Lowell will have the background to succeed in M.S. or Ph.D. programs in Chemistry or enter the work force in the chemical industry. Our program is approved by the American Chemical Society.
Requirements of the Major
Semester by Semester Program of Study:
A graduate in Chemistry will be expected to be able to:
- Understand and apply calculations needed in the chemical sciences for preparing and analyzing solutions and samples.
- Master common laboratory analytical techniques and skills needed for the qualitative and quantitative identification of unknown chemical samples.
- Understand how light and electromagnetic radiation interacts with matter and how this can be used to analyze chemical samples.
- Read scientific papers and instructions and use this information to carry out experiments.
- Work in teams to perform scientific experiments.
- Write scientific reports and prepare appropriate graphs of data.