M.Ed. and Ed.S. Curriculum and Instruction
Requirements of the Major
Knowledge Proficiencies - students will demonstrate their knowledge of:
- Important topics, issues, theories and practices in education in general and within a selected field of specialization;
- A variety of ways of knowing and evaluating information and ideas;
- Inquiry and critical analysis;
- Students’ prior knowledge and how to connect it to new experiences;
- How to integrate technology appropriately in their planning and teaching;
- Appropriate curriculum and instructional materials and experiences for students, colleagues and community participants.
Skills Proficiencies - students will demonstrate their ability to:
- Deliver content information and develop students’ skills through a variety of strategies that are consistent with appropriate learning theory;
- Plan, to implement and to assess an organized learning experience that has a conceptual focus;
- Develop a cohesive pedagogical style that integrates attitudes and dispositions with knowledge and skills;
- Communicate effectively with peers and students in appropriate forms and through a variety of forums.
Disposition Proficiencies – students will demonstrate:
- Commitment to helping all children achieve at the highest level, an understanding of appropriate educational responsibilities for children at risk of failure, and a commitment to promote equity of educational opportunity for all learners.
- Willingness to work collaboratively and independently on pertinent educational issues;
- Openness to diversity in people’s backgrounds and points of view;
- Recognition of personal bias and willingness to make appropriate adjustments;
- An enthusiasm for developing lifelong habits of mind that facilitate reflection, clear thinking, critical judgment, innovation and a problem-solving orientation;
- Appropriate types of professional behaviors;
- Willingness to take informed stands on significant issues within the school and in the community;
- Readiness to collaborate with other educators, parents and community representatives to support educational excellence;
- Informed decision making that is reflective, ethical and caring;
- A commitment to excellence and human dignity in all aspects of teaching, learning and leadership.