Clinical Laboratory Sciences - Medical Laboratory Science Option
The mission of the Medical Laboratory Science program at UMass Lowell is to provide high quality, theoretical and clinical education to students to develop the skills, knowledge, and commitment to lifelong learning necessary to become leaders in the field of Medical Laboratory Science. The department faculty is committed to maintaining NAACLS (National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences) accreditation of the program in order to supply the region with entry-level Medical Laboratory Scientists who possess the abilities to adapt in a dynamic health care environment.
Requirements of the Major
Semester by Semester Program of Study - Clinical Laboratory Sciences - Medical Laboratory Science Option
Upon graduation the Medical Technology option prepares students who are able to:
- Obtain certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist from the American Society of Clinical Pathologist (ASCP) Board of Certification (BOC).
- Select and provide analytical and evaluative laboratory services based on scientific theory.
- Apply principles of clinical chemistry, immunology, hematology, and microbiology into critical thinking and trouble shooting of laboratory procedures and instrumentation
- Demonstrate leadership skills of accountability, education, and supervision.
- Communicate clinical information effectively both orally and in writing to patients and healthcare professionals
- Work safely with potential chemical and biological hazards using the standards established in the workplace chemical hygiene plan, safety manual, and the blood-borne pathogen policy
- Be admitted to and be successful in graduate/professional programs
- Advance in their profession