Social Media Interaction Policy
Social Media can be a powerful too – it can also result in legal action if not used properly. Please be especially careful when using social media and use common sense. Defaming or using libelous language can cause problems for the poster personally and for the University.
Keep in mind that the Internet lives forever – don’t put up a post or comment that you don’t want to have to defend later to potential in-laws, parents or employers. The immediacy of the web can be a detriment – just like it is prudent to wait to click “send” on an email, the same is true when responding to a post.
In addition to the usage policies of each social media network, the University has the following guidelines:
• Videos, images, posts or comments should not include swearing or profanity
• Personal attacks against other users will not be tolerated
• Videos, images, posts or comments should not be defamatory or libelous
• UMass Lowell reserves the right to remove, at any time, at its sole discretion, any content posted on the blog service that it deems in violation of University policy or local, state or federal law.
• University resources may not be used for personal business or personal gain.
• All material posted on the social media networks must be in compliance with copyright law. Network account owners have the responsibility of acquiring all necessary permissions to post copyrighted material (including photographs).
• The selling of online advertising space to non-University entities on any web page hosted or sponsored by UMass Lowell is strictly forbidden.