Tutorial - Roommate Matching and Criteria
All students who are not squatting their rooms or going through the suite lottery process should choose their roommate matching criteria to be placed with the most compatible roommates as possible. The Online Housing Gateway also allows students to specifically select who they wish to live with by entering a student's UMS number. Non-mutual requests (one person requests a roommate but the other person does not) will not be processed.
1. Click ROOMMATE/MATCHING found in the APPLICATION folder on the left side of the window.
2. You will be asked to select and application period. Select ACADEMIC YEAR 2011-2012.
3. You will be provided with the following screen for roommate and criteria selection:
4. If you wish to live with a particular student you must know their 8-digit UMS number. Enter their number (no preceding "UMS") into the STUDENT ID field next to ROOMMATE 1.
5. Press TAB on your keyboard or click outside of the box. If the student is in the housing database their name will be populated in the gray box to the right (ROOMMATE NAME) and you may proceed. If no name shows up ensure that you have typed in the correct number.
Note 1: You may receive an message regarding the display of non-secure items. This is normal and you must allow the exception for this to work.
Note 2: If you are requesting a student who has not lived on campus before their name will not be shown. Contact the Housing Office for any issues.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for any additional roommates you wish to live with.
7. If you don't have a specific roommate you wish to live with, continue onto the ROOMMATE MATCHING section.
8. Answer each of the 8 questions with YES, NO, or NO PREF depending on your personal preferences. These will be used to help us place you with the best possible roommate match.
9. Click CONTINUE at the bottom of the screen. You will be prompted to click OK to complete the transaction.
10. When saving is complete, you will be told that your roommate details have been saved. You may come back at any time to add, delete or update your roommates and criteria up until you are assigned a room.
Note: It is very important that all students that wish to live together request each other on this page. Failure to have mutual requests from all people will default to the roommate matching criteria as opposed to matching with requested students. (i.e., if student A requests student B, B must also request A!)