Tutorial - Room Selection
The Online Housing Gateway allows students to self-assign themselves after the retention process. In order to be eligible for Suite Selection, you must be a current student that has submitted their housing contract and $200 deposit online before March 31.
Each student is grouped into their class standing - determined by credits at the end of the fall semester. Within each class, residents are assigned a random number. This number will be e-mailed to you approximately one week prior to Suite Selection. Your Allocation Number will be used to determine what time you can log onto the Online Housing Gateway and select a suite or apartment. The best possible Allocation Number is 1. Please refer to the Room Selection Packet for your scheduled time.
Once a student has logged in during their specified time, they will be able to choose a suite or apartment based on certain search criteria including building, floor, size of suite/apartment, and gender. At this time, the student with the lowest (best) Allocation Number can act as the "Group Representative" and pull-in as many other students as there are vacancies within a chosen suite/apartment. All students that are being pulled in must also be current residents that submitted their contracts before the deadline.
IMPORTANT NOTE: By releasing your Screen Name and Student ID to another student, you are allowing them to book your room and meal plan for next year. Because of this, we HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you are present at the time of the pull-in process.
Before you begin, ensure that you have the Screen Name and Student ID number of all the roommates you want to pull-in. The Screen Name is a 5-digit number that can be found at the top-right of the screen of APPLICATION STATUS found in the APPLICATION folder on the left side of the window.
1. Click ROOM SELECTION found in the SELF ASSIGNMENT folder on the left side of the window.
Note: If you are a returning resident and do not see the option, please contact the Office of Residence Life immediately.
2. If you have not retained a room/suite or been pulled into a room/suite and you have submitted your contract and paid your deposit on time, you will be presented with the WELCOME PAGE of ROOM Selection.
Note: The list on the left is not interactive and cannot be clicked on. It shows you your progress as you continue through the retention process.
3. Click CONTINUE
at the bottom of the screen to move to the next step.
4. You will be presented with a reminder to have all prospective roommates' Screen Name, Student ID, and meal plan preferences before beginning. Click ADVANCED SEARCH at the bottom of the screen to move to the next step.
5. Select your desired Building, Floor, Suite Size, and Gender from the drop-down boxes. You are only required to choose your gender. Click CONTINUE at the bottom of the screen to move to the next step.
6. You will be presented with all available suites or apartments from your search criteria. Each row will show you details about the room including the floor, how many spaces are still available, and whether it is locked or not. Once you find a suite or apartment that you desire, click on GO under the LOCK IT? column.
Note 1: There may be several pages of results. You may navigate between them by click on the PREVIOUS, NEXT, FIRST, and LAST links at the bottom of the page.
Note 2: If you wish to modify your search, click on the BACK TO ADVANCED SEARCH link at the bottom of the page.
7. You will be presented with the ROOM LOCK PAGE. Note the time remaining clock and confirm that the CURRENT ROOM is the suite/apartment that you wish to take.
Note: The moment you get to this screen you have ten minutes to complete the process. If you exceed this time you will have to start over.
8. Choose one of the bedspaces by clicking the appropriate box from the I WANT column. Skip to step 11 if you are only choosing a suite/apartment for yourself.
9. If you wish to pull-in suitemates, enter the LOGIN ID and STUDENT ID for your roommate. The LOGIN ID is their SCREEN NAME (found on the top-right of the APPLICATION STATUS screen in the APPLICATION folder) and the Student ID is without the preceding "UMS".
Note: Both of these fields are your roommate's information, not your own.
10. Press TAB on your keyboard; you should be presented with the suitemate's first and last name. Repeat steps 9 and 10 for each suitemate.
Note: If you do not see their name, you cannot proceed. Ensure that the suitemate's credentials are correct (all login IDs are 3 or 4 digits and all passwords are 8 digits). You will be given an error message above the bed space drop-down menu describing any issues that need to be corrected.
11. Click PULL IN ROOMMATE if you are pulling in any suitemates or ONLY ASSIGN ROOM FOR ME if just for yourself.
12. You will be presented with the CONFIRM ROOM PAGE. Carefully review the room selection you have made, as this will be the only opportunity to decline the suite/apartment.
13. Click QUIT if you do not want to pull-in the roommate, otherwise click CONTINUE.
14. You will be presented with the SELECT PLAN PAGE. Choose one of the six meal-plan choices by clicking the appropriate box under the NOMINATE column.
Note: Only four plans are shown at a time - use the scroll bar to see the remaining plans.
15. Click CONTINUE once you have made your plan choice - you cannot continue until you select one.
16. You will be presented with the CONFIRM PLAN PAGE. You will not be able to change your plan once you pass this step, so ensure that it is the correct one and you have not selected multiple.
17. Once you are satisfied with your selection, click CONFIRM. If you need to make an adjustment, click BACK TO PREVIOUS.
Note: Ensure that you have not selected more than one plan - there should be one for each term, however. If you see more than two listings you have selected too many.
18. You will finally be presented with the RECEIPT PAGE. You may want to print this page for your records, but you and your suitemates will receive an e-mail confirmation to your student accounts. Another e-mail and letter will be sent by the end of the semester with move-in dates and other important information.