The Resident Director at the University of Massachusetts Lowell is a senior staff member in the Office of Residence Life, supplementing and complementing the processes of formal education by enhancing the quality of life in the residence halls; enhancing the educational environment by creating a living and learning experience that will optimize individual growth and foster community development. Working in unison with Student Affairs staff, residence hall staff, and student leaders, the Resident Director creates a residential environment conducive to the intellectual, psycho-social, moral, and cultural growth and maturation of the resident population. Specific responsibilities will depend upon the individual needs of his/her particular residence hall and the needs of the developing Residence Life program.
Main functions of a Resident Director include:
- Provide direct supervision and leadership to a residence hall student staff, including participation in the planning and implementation of staff training and staff selection, as well as the completion of regular evaluations of student staff.
- Oversee the design and implementation of programs and events in the Residence Halls in order to enhance student development and sense of community in the residential environment.
- Oversee the occupancy management of assigned residence hall, including the coordination of check-ins, check-outs, fire, health, and safety inspections, roster verification, room switches, room condition reports, and damage billing.
- Participate in the Resident Director duty rotation and respond to crises as they arise.
- Serve as a conduct officer to address policy violations and behavioral concerns in the Residence Halls.