October 7, Monday, 3 - 6 p.m.
Meet at the Campus Recreation Center
UMass Lowell Smart Trips and Campus Recreation are partnering to offer "Bicycling for Everyone," a workshop where we will be teaching people of all skills, abilities, and ages how to ride bikes in a way that is fun, smart, and safe. These sessions have been scheduled so that you can participate in at least one before Bike to School Day on October 9. We will meet at the Campus Recreation Center on East Campus and transport you and your bicycle to the Bruce Freeman Trailhead in Lowell. We will begin at the head of the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail and conduct the entire session away from city roads.
When you register, you'll get to choose from one or more of three instructional tracks:
- Bicycling 101 - How to ride a bike for the very first time
- Bicycling 102 - How to gain confidence, ride safer, and have more fun
- Bicycling 201 - Efficient, safe, and smooth riding for the intermediate-to-advanced rider
Some of the topics we'll be covering are:
- Starting and stopping smoothly.
- Being considerate of other road users, starting with those who you are riding with.
- Remaining relaxed and in control of your bike no matter what you encounter on the road.
- Awareness of road and trail conditions
- Riding efficiently, so you can get where you are going with either minimal effort or maximum speed, depending on what you want.
- How to be nice to other people on the road – even cranky drivers!
After you register at the link above, we'll send you an email to help you prepare. If you need to borrow a bicycle, please indicate so on the form below. Email SmartTrips@uml.edu if you have any questions.
Bike to School Day
October 9, Wednesday, All Morning
North Campus at Cumnock Hall
South Campus by the bus stop
Join us for Bike to School Day on Wednesday, October 9. When you arrive on North or South Campus, we'll be there to greet you with food, friends, photos, and giveaways! When you register, you'll get a chance to request assistance with things like repairing your bike, planning a route to school, or even borrowing a bike to participate for the day.
November 18, Monday, All Day
Carpooling can seem like a big commitment - but would you try it for one day? Register for Carpool Day, and we'll help you find a carpool partner for one day, and you'll get to park in preferred carpool-only parking spots, too. We will be nearby to provide you with some free food and see how it went.
Join the Walking and Bicycling "Bus"
Walking and bicycling is just more fun when you do it together. Smart Trips staff will be leading groups of people who want to go between campuses together. Check our Facebook event pages to be sure of the latest details.
Walking "Bus" - Mondays
East to South - Leave at 9:30 a.m. from Fox Hall
South to North - Leave at 11 a.m. from the bus stop
Bike "Bus" - Tuesdays
East to South - Leave at 12:45 p.m. from Fox Hall
South to North - Leave at 1:45 p.m. from the bus stop