Exploring Majors and Careers
Whether you entered UMass Lowell declaring a major or came in expecting to explore your options, you’re in good company if you change your major at some point. There are lots of study options and career paths, so we strongly urge you to do some exploring with the help of a career counselor.
We can help in several ways:
- Discuss your concerns and ideas about majors with a career counselor. We can help you explore and evaluate majors and their respective career paths. To see a career counselor you can schedule an appointment online or call 978-934-2355.
- Choosing a major and a career path works best when you understand your own interests and skills, and what’s most important to you. By taking a vocational assessment, such as Focus, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, or SkillScan (all available in the Career & Co-op Center), you can clarify aspects of yourself that may affect your satisfaction with a major and career. Once you complete an assessment, you and a career counselor will discuss how you can use the results in determining your next steps. Call for an appointment.
- Knowing how your major can "translate" into a career is key. Check out these helpful sites to learn about career paths related to majors you’re considering:
- Obtaining an internship or engaging in another experiential education program is a great way to learn more about yourself and the world of work. Call the Career & Co-op Center to schedule an appointment with a career counselor to discuss internship possibilities and strategies.
- Talk to a career counselor about conducting an informational interview with someone in your professional area of interest to gain insight into his or her job, organization, industry, and career path.