University of Massachusetts Lowell
IT Interface Newsletter Archive
Here you can read past editions of the IT Interface Newsletter.
From the CIO: introduction and more.
- Classroom Technology: Last November, the ITS department undertook a project to outfit 80 classroom with technology systems. After months of hard work, the team has finally met its April deadline and completed this classroom technology project.
Commencement to be Streamed Online: UMass Lowell IT is providing the ability to watch this event online. Technology Enhanced Classroom: For faculty having trouble with classroom technology, getting help is about to get easier. A/V Upgrade in the ICC: The University continues to upgrade the ICC. This August, the A/V equipment in the main ballroom of the ICC will be upgraded. Student E-Mail is Going Live: At the beginning of June, IT will be migrating students’ mailboxes to an off-campus server hosted by Microsoft. The new e-mail system will be run under Microsoft’s Outlook Live Program. Faculty/Staff E-Mail Upgrade: Faculty and staff are getting an upgrade to the newest version of Exchange, 2010, in the fall. Dropbox: Since the summer of 2007, faculty and staff have had access to a secure file-transfer service known as Dropbox. Xythos: Another new program currently available to faculty and staff members is Xythos, an online documentation-management system. This system is similar to that of a file share on a network. Second Path to Internet: A second connection to the Internet is soon going to be added to the UMass Lowell campus. Hackers Could Be Phishing: It is critical that UMass Lowell e-mail users learn about phishing and the serious consequences responding to a phishing e-mail can bear. Password Protection: Members of the UMass Lowell community can take other steps to prevent their e-mail accounts from being broken into, especially by taking steps to have strong passwords. Document Imaging: The document imaging project is a joint effort with UMass Dartmouth, UMass Boston, and the President’s office, with the software hosted centrally at the new data center in UMass Worcester. Help Center: The Help Center is a place where students, faculty, or staff members can call for assistance for a variety of technological and computer issues. Software Licenses: Faculty and staff members have a range of products available to them, all thanks to campus-wide software licenses offered through the IT department. IT Policy and Planning: The IT Policy and Planning Committee has developed the IT strategic Plan 2020, a ten-year visionary document. Lecture Capture: Lecture capture has been available in Ball Hall rooms 214, 320, and Weed Hall Lecture Halls 1, 2, and 3. Now, Ball Hall room 208 and Kitson Hall room 305 are outfitted with lecture-capture capability. Resource 25: Resource 25, a room and facilities scheduling program, will be easing the process of scheduling various events on campus. Redundant Fiber Link: IT has recently completed a new, independent redundant backbone path. IT Staff Directory
- From the CIO... introduction and more.
- Instructional Technology: read about new technology enhanced classrooms.
- Advisory Committee: read about the formation of a new steering committee to help guide the future of technology growth.
- Information Security: read about security tips for both your work and home computers.
- Networking: read about the creation of a second path off campus to the Internet and the providing of an enhanced internet2/layer2 connectivity.
- Enterprise Systems: read about the new student e-mail system and the upgrade to exchange 2010 for staff and faculty.
- Project Management: read about the implementation of a new electronic document imaging system.
- I.T. Organization: read about the initial steps taken to realign technology support resources.
- Additional Technology Support Services (pdf): read about academic and administrative technology support services available on campus.