LTC Dedicated Education Unit
Project Title: UMass Lowell-D’Youville Transitional Care-Dedicated Education Unit Partnership – Enhancing Faculty, Student, and Staff Education and Opportunities in Long Term Care.
- Development of preceptor training curricula related to the treatment of physical and mental health problems in older adults which will be disseminated to other universities and long term care facilities via a state-wide website
- Conduct joint training sessions for faculty and staff
- Implement student summer internships to foster long-term care as a primary career option for new BSN graduates
- Develop clinical placements for junior nursing students during the fall and spring semesters
The final product will be sustainable and replicable model of nursing education that integrates long-term care into nursing education and promotes long-term care as a primary career option for nursing students.
Prendergast and Melillo, Provider Magazine, August 2013
2013 Toronto LTC Applied Research Day, Poster Presentation, 01-25-13.
Abdallah, L., Dodge, l., Dowling, J., Prendergast, N., Rathbone, A., Remington, R.,
Shellman, J., Thornton, C.,
Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Charting New Frontiers in Aging, San Diego, CA,
November 14-18, 2012.
Melillo, K.D., Dedicated Education Unit in Long-term Care: UMass Lowell and D’Youville Center for Advanced
Therapy Partnership for Transitional Care – Development, Implementation and Evaluation of an Innovative Clinical
- Karen Devereaux Melillo - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Lisa Abdallah, Ph.D., RN, CNE - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Juliette M. Shellman, Ph.D, PHCNS-BC - University Massachusetts Lowell
- Ruth Remington, Ph.D, APRN-BC - University Massachusetts Lowell
- Lea Dodge, MS, RN - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Jacqueline Dowling, Ph.D., RN, CNE - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Stephanie R. Lane, MSW, Project Administrator - University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Cynthia Thornton, Director, CAT - D’Youville Transitional Care Unit
- Andrea Rathbone, Administrator - D’Youville Transitional Care Unit