About the School
As the role of nurses has evolved, so too the educational preparation of nurses has changed. Today's nurses must be able to care for patients in community settings as well as in hospitals, attend to the needs of the growing number of older Americans, and work within the managed care system.
The mission of the School of Nursing is to educate students, advance knowledge and provide service to the University, the profession and the community, through excellence in the discovery, application, integration and dissemination of knowledge. The health promotion needs of individuals and groups are emphasized.
The School of Nursing at UMass Lowell offers:
A Proud History
- The oldest Family Health Nursing Program in New England, preparing Family Nurse Practitioners
- First MS Degree Gerontological Nursing Program in the U.S., preparing Gerontological Nurse Practitioners
- Pioneer in the 'blended role' of the psychiatric advanced practice nurse
A Distinguished Faculty
- Authors or contributors of more than 500 articles in virtually every national and international nursing and health-related journal and numerous texts
- More than 400 years collectively in hands-on healthcare practice
- Presenters at professional conferences in more than 30 countries on at least four continents
- Faculty honored by the American Academy of Nursing; The Gerontological Society of America; and the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
Recognitions and Honors from Others
- "Doctoral Universities One" status conferred by the Carnegie Foundation
- Holder of the "Highest Classification" by the American Association of University Professors
The School of Nursing is fully accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
UMass Lowell Nursing Videos
A playlist of UMass Lowell Nursing videos can be found on the
UMass Lowell YouTube Channel. You can also find some on the
UMass Lowell Facebook page.
Got a video we should feature on our site? Or have you seen a video we should add to the UMass Lowell YouTube Channel? Please e-mail the Web Content office and tell us about it.