After receiving his bachelor's degree, Vaibhav worked for a year at the LASER physics lab at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in the field of optical tweezing before joining the graduate program in optics at UMass Lowell in 2004.
His research interests include MEMS , NEMS (Micro/nano electro mechanical systems ) based sensors and application of the Finite Element Method in multi-physics modeling. Vaibhav joined the photonics center in fall 2005 and has since worked on developing some novel optical MEMS devices with applications in image correction (astronomy and optometry) and vibration sensing.
He recently demonstrated the first all optically actuated MEMS mirror device as part of his doctoral thesis. The device combines the GaAs/GaP wafer fusion technique, thin film resistor patterning and polyaniline (conductive polymer) doped SU-8, to form a 900 element array of moving mirrors.
He is also investigating the feasibility of using moving waveguide structures (AlGaAs/GaAs) for MEMS vibration sensing.
Vaibhav loves playing racquet ball, traveling, and website designing. He also enjoys reading non-fiction books.Publications and conference presentations:
1) "An all optically driven integrated deformable mirror device" Submitted for publication
2) "Direct measurement of the oscillation frequency in a an optical-tweezer trap using parametric excitation" J.Joykutty,V.Mathur,V.Venkataraman, V.Natarajan, Phy. Rev. Lett. Vol .95. Issue 19 (2005) (pdf)
3) "All optically driven MEMS deformable mirrors driven via direct cascading with GaAs/GaP wafer bonded PIN photodetectors" V.Mathur,S.R.Vangala,X.Qian and W.D.Goodhue, Presented at the IEEE Photonics society, Optical MEMS and nanophotonics conference , Florida (2009) Paper (pdf) , Presentation (pdf)
4) "Design and optimization of an all optically driven phase correction MEMS device using FEA" V.Mathur,K.Anglin,V.S.Prasher,K.Tremkoa,S.R.Vangala,X.Qian,W.D.Goodhue,B.Haji-Saeed,J.Khoury in proceedings of the COMSOL Multiphysics International users conference, Boston (2009) Paper (pdf), Presentation (pdf)
5) "FEM simulation of micro-cantilever optical-MEMS sensor" V.Mathur,J.LI and W.D.Goodhue , in proceedings of the COMSOL Multiphysics International users conference,Boston (2006) Paper (pdf)