University of Massachusetts Lowell
UMass Lowell - Center for Electric Car and Energy Conversion
Research is being conducted in the following areas:
- Rejuvenation of weak batteries to new condition, often over original rating.
Recently we discovered a methodology which will rejuvenate sealed lead acid batteries, including electric car batteries, and restore them to their original ratings.
- Life Cycle Testing, Accelerated Aging
- Realistic EV Simulation using actual electric vehicle road test data
The electric car can be simulated in the lab using data taken from a data acquisition system on an operational electric car to verify the battery design. We determine whether the batteries will be overcharging during braking or overdischarged during a high-speed run.
- Mathmatical modeling of batteries
A mathmatical model was developed for lead acid batteries which is widely used by battery manufacturers and users. A mathmatical model of NiCd batteries has also been developed.
- Battery abuse testing including over discharge, overcharge, etc. to develop procedures which ensure long battery life.
- Universal Charging Algorithm
A Universla charging Algorithm is developed which will optimize the performance of most sealed lead acid, Nicke-Cadmium, and Nickel-Metal-Hydride batteries.
- Small battery defects
Research is conducted to detect defects in various types of small batteries such as Polaroid Zinc Manganese film pack types.
- Effect of Temperature on battery performance