Social Networking Guidelines for Faculty, Staff & Students
A few things to keep in mind for personal and professional accounts:
- Everything is public and the Internet lives forever. Don’t post something you’ll have to explain to a future employer or your parents.
- Use common sense. Don’t post illegal activities. If you wouldn't say something directly to your supervisor or the Chancellor, then don’t post it online.
- Posts should meet one of the three Fs: fun (make people laugh), factual or fresh (new information).
- Keep your personal and professional accounts separate. And double check before you post that you’re using the right account!
- People love pictures and videos. Make sure you have permission to use the pictures or videos (not everything is copyright-free just because it’s on the Internet).
- Don’t share University news before it has been made public.
- In the event of a University emergency, do not post until you've received official word to eliminate any confusion or misinformation.
- Posts or comments should not include profanity, be defamatory or libelous.
- Be familiar with the policies of the networks you are using and be aware that the policies and security features frequently change.