New Parking Policy for Students
UMass Lowell continues to grow in size and reputation, and managing parking inventory is essential in maintaining a fair and equitable manner is critical. Like most urban schools, UMass Lowell has an ongoing concern with parking. We take these concerns seriously and work to aggressively manage parking supply to keep up with the growing demand.
Because of the complexity of parking on more than 30 surface lots and three parking garages on campus, procedures and regulations have been established to help provide for the most efficient use of our available parking inventory. As a result of an analysis of campus parking demand we are anticipating a commuter student parking shortage on North Campus.
Summary of Policy Changes
The University's Parking Committee, comprised of a cross-section of campus personnel, carefully considered and adopted a number of policy change recommendations for the 2015-2016 academic year. No policy changes will be made to the parking program except for decal rates. The following is a list of where student may park effective Aug. 31. 2015:
- Freshmen and sophomore commuter students* with north campus majors will be required to park in the Ayotte Garage on East Campus, located at 11 Post Office Square between the Tsongas Center and Lowell High School. The lot will be serviced by a campus shuttle running from the Ayotte Garage to Fox Hall and North Campus, which is enhanced service from last year. The shuttle will be at the garage for pick-ups every 10-15 minutes. Eligibility for this parking will be determined by student status as recognized by the Registrar's Office. North freshmen and sophomores may not park on North or South commuter lots.
- Freshmen and sophomore commuter students* with south campus majors will be required to park in the Broadway/Riverview Lot or South Garage on Broadway Street. South freshmen and sophomores may not park on North or East parking lots.
- Junior, senior and graduate students will be permitted to park in any commuter lot in Riverside Lot A, Riverside Lot B and North Garage Floors 1-2 on North Campus, as well as Broadway/Riverview and South Garage on South Campus.
- Resident students must park in the lots to which they are assigned. Resident student vehicles may not park in commuter.
- After 2 p.m. all students may park in the upper-class commuter surface lots on both North and South campuses.
- Please go to Parking Locations for a complete listing and maps of parking facilities.
- Please review the Transportation Services hours of operation and service lines at www.uml.edu/transportation.
* Freshmen are those students with less than 24 credits completed and sophomores are those students with less than 51 credits (note: Junior status is 54 credits, but we will allow students within 3 credits to be eligible for upperclassman parking status).
Parking Rates for the 2015-2016 academic year are as follows:
- Student Accepted in the 2015-2016 Academic Year - $450 per year
- Students Accepted in the 2014-2015 Academic Year - $420 per year
- Students Accepted prior to the 2014-2015 Academic Year - $367 per year
- Continuing Education Students Accepted in the 2015-2016 Academic Year - $450 per year
- Continuing Education Students Accepted in the 2014-2015 Academic Year - $420 per year
- Continuing Education Students Accepted prior to the 2014-2015 Academic Year - $367 per year
Students classified as readmitted (leaving the University for a semester or longer) are subject to rate corresponding to their term of return
Please note that parking rates will not increase more than 5% annually, based on your acceptance term. Parking revenue will help fund current and future parking needs for UMass Lowell, which continues to move forward in scope and vision. Our urban campus setting poses some unique challenges, including parking.
For more information about 2015-2016 parking, visit the websites linked below:
Any questions regarding the new policy can be directed to our office at UCAPS@uml.edu